Snow peas or shelling peas question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Jul 8, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

This is the second year we have grown snowpeas and..... for the second year in a row AND in DIFFERENT places in the garden I have a row of snowpeas and shelling peas mixed in the same row. the plants look identical , but the peas are distinctly TWO different peas. One is a shelling pea the other is a snowpea. SO my question is, do the peas need cross pollinated by another variety of snow pea or does this not matter. Or do you think I am getting a mixed seed blend(accidentally) from the vendor?

[​IMG]
    Row of snow peas ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    shelling pea and snowpea ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

These are not picked they are still attached to the plants. Do you see the difference? I opened the shelling pod for you to see that this is not a snow pea. the other is a snow pea.

Am I doing something wrong? I would think that if I ordered mammoth melting snow peas, that is exactly what I should be picking. Not the shelling peas. These are on two different plants in the same row. not both pods on the same stem. FYI

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there, Carolyn--
    I believe that you are getting a mixed lot from your vendor.
    Do you remember in one of the fotos of the purple-podded peas that I grow each year that I showed that some are green podded..some are even flat instead of round. I get some every singel year like that.
    I thought that the suppliers either have allowed some cross-breeding to take place, ot that some seeds of a dofferent type was "left behind" in their seed packet filling machines.

The bottom like is that I do not think that you are doing anything wrong at all.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd, That was what I was thinking, also. But I just wanted to see if anyone else had a different take on this problem. I wasn't sure if pollination from my shelling peas was part of the problem, nor can I find anywhere where that says I need to have any specific amount of space between shelling peas and snow peas. Kevin planted them about 30" apart. There are even a few that I wonder of they are the sugar snap peas :rolleyes: And the place where I bought the seed says "well we have never had anybody complain about this pea before" I just wanted ASK if I was doing something wrong, not complain. The shelling peas are very good, but if I wanted another row of shelling peas I would have planted them. So the next time I go down to them I will take my pictures and show them to the people who work there

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Isn't it odd how when you come with a question that some folks immediately strike a defensive posture? There was no need for that.

A persaon ought to be able to discuss a question in a normal way, don't you think?

I would be interested in hearing what the folks there had to say when you tried again to broach the subject, this time with a foto to demonstrate your point.

I have had seed companies actually send me a new pack of seeds before, when I would make inquiries. They missed to point entirely. I didn't want a replacement--I just wanted some answers.

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

My immediate thought was, mixed seed. From what you say, the vendor was too quick to defend what they shipped.

I would lood to find another vendor. But that is just me.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks FBG, that is my thought also.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

NEW YEAR, NEW PEAS, SAME PROBLEM!!!! Well I am picking peas from the row of snow peas and I am having the same issue again. Silly ME, I didn't think to mention to Kevin to make sure we order them from somewhere else. I forgot and now I have the same issue again. snow peas and shelling peas in the same row! Does anybody else ever have this problem?

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn,
    With our short window of opportunity for cool season crops, we always plant snow peas, sugar snap peas, and shelling peas at the same time. They aren't side-by-side, but they are close enough for easy cross-pollination, and we have never had your problem. I think it's the vendor mixing the seed up.
    If you keep a record of seed orders, put a tag on the peas to make sure you order from someone else next year.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, That was my mistake this year...I forgot. I will be ordering them elsewhere for next year.

11. donm

donm In Flower

I've read that most peas are pollinated before the flower even opens. Very rarely do they cross-pollinate.

I've gotten a few "mixed" in a commercial pack of seeds.

Don

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That is exactly what I thought, too, Don. This is the THIRD year now for the same problem. I have to pick one kind and then the other. :scheming: It drives me crazy. I don't want these shelling peas, they are on the small side for a shelling pea. If I wanted more shelling peas I would have planted them. I want snow peas! GRR!!!