Snow Queen Clematis vine covered with blooms

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Mar 28, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I almost missed them too. They were not open on Saturday, I wasn't outside on Sunday because the weather was cold and windy but this morning I took some recycle items out to the barrel and was amazed at what I found.

[​IMG]
    Snow Queen Clematis ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

And of course there was one of the ladies with her face very prominently displayed just waiting for her close-up.
    [​IMG]
    I'm ready for my close-up Mr. Demille ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

S-H and DirtyDigits like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

What a lovely suprise! They look fantastic on your fence. I'm adding this plant to my wish list right now.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Oh!! what a beauty Toni!! I'm thinking about getting another clematis. I have a maroon one that tries to get the mail from the postman it I don't train it away from the opening. :) Snow Queen......I have just the place:)

Jerry

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very pretty Toni. My Clematis hasn't been doing to well the last 2 years. Maybe this is their year :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A really glorious sight Toni. I'd love to have a white clematis in my own garden. Yet another thing to add to my wish list. :-D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a lovely display, Toni. Boy, those really do catch one's eye--they're gorgeous.

If you're going to hire ole Cecil....then I want to be present at the screening. If he can make a come-back then there's hope for the rest of us. :)

All kidding aside, those really are quite pretty and the setting is just perfect. Well done, Toni.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

What a nice way to start the morning! I have never had luck with clematis, so I am a little "green" over yours! It's very pretty.

9. toni

Thanks for liking her majesty. There are still some buds that are not ready to open so she should be putting on a show for a couple more weeks. Last year she bloomed again in October when the temps dropped down to the 80's

DB, it took 3 years for the vine to have that many blooms. First year nothing, second year I think I remember one, last year there were a few more then this year the vine is covered with buds.
    Sadly it gets watered only when I happen to notice that the pot is really dry, possibly if I had watered regularly it might have bloomed more the last two years.

10. cherylad

Toni... did you start her from seed or "plant"? Is there a reason you haven't put in the ground instead of container?

11. toni

I bought it as a root, don't remember where though. I put in a pot because it had to be planted and I hadn't decided exactly where I wanted it. Easier and better for the plant to move a pot around than to dig it up a couple of times.

12. cherylad

Can't decide which I like best... the beauty queen or that fence of yours! :smt023

13. toni

That unpainted panel is one I bought same time as the others that I painted green. But because there is a huge Rosemary and the Clematis all over the panel it just hasn't gotten painted. Now I am sorta wishing I hadn't painted the others either, that one has weathered to a really nice look.

Lowe's carries the panels, Item #202842 4'x8' Gothic wood panel. Some stores have them in stock so you can buy one or a few, but if you have to special order them there might be a minimum quantity. I think they are around $20 each.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I never thought to put one in a pot... then I could move it here and there until it finds a spot it likes.... thanks for the great idea.