Snowdrops / Snowdrop bulbs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by eileen, Feb 1, 2006.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've just taken delivery of 1000 snowdrop bulbs from www.eurobulbs.co.uk and I am really impressed. :D
    They are 'in the green' and actually in flower at the moment. :) They were only despatched yesterday and they arrived this morning!!
    They cost me just £65 + £2.50p for carriage. Included in that price was £10.05 VAT so I think I got a real bargain. :)
    In with the bulbs I ordered I also got 60 FREE Elwessi Snowdrops and 60 FREE Sanakeshead Lilies.

My ground is frozen solid at the moment so I've looked out some troughs from the shed and planted them in multi-purpose compost for the time being. I then gave them a drink of tepid water and stood the containers on the patio. I can't wait until the ground thaws out so that I can plant them where they'll spread year after year to form a beautiful white carpet!!! :smt026 :smt026

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What a bargain Eileen and 120 free bulbs... wow! Looks like a good website. Thanks for the link. It's a pity they can't supply outside the EU.

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Wow Elieen, 1000 snowdrops is going to look out of this world! I am very tempted by their website as that is very reasonable. At my little nursery back in the autumn, to get a packet of 6 snowdrop bulbs was a fiver! As you can imagine, I didn't bother. Even little pots with a few in flower are a couple of quid each.
    Out of interest, how did they arrive and how were they packed? I have a little pocket money and now I am torn between snowdrops and bluebells!

5. eileen

They arrived by Royal Mail EJ. They were packed and posted on Wednesday and arrived Thursday morning!!! They were in labelled plastic bags each containing 100 bulbs in flower or bud and then stacked in two layers (end to end) to stop them getting too squashed. They were then packed in a large cardboard box, securely taped down.
    They still had fresh, damp moss on the earth around the roots so you could see that they'd only just been dug up. Nice strong plants and firm bulbs. I actually think I got more than 1000 but got bored counting them after the 4th bagful!!!

Don't bother buying the bluebells btw unless you particularly want bulbs. I have plenty here (Scottish Bluebells) and if you can bear with me until mine seed (around the end of June) I can send you a good supply of them. :) However they will take longer than bulbs to reach maturity and therefore the first flowering. Let me know if you want me to collect seeds for you. :D

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

ooo Eilleen, yes yes yes! Good stuff, save my money for snowdrops galore! I think you have convinced me! I shall blame you when Ava asks what they are!
    hehehehehe

7. eileen

Moi???????????? Nuffink to do with me. :smt059 ;) ;)

Just give me a kick about May to remind me to collect those seeds for you won't you?

8. Yingwei

Yingwei New Seed

Re: Snowdrops.

I am interested to get it for a friend & I am from Singapore... Very sad that they don't ship internationally. Any ideas where I can get Snowdrops from?

Regards.

9. eileen

Hi Yingwei,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you but I've been trying hard to find a supplier of snowdrops for you. I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to find one that will deliver to Singapore. :( All I can suggest is that you contact a nurseryman or good garden centre near you and ask their advice. Maybe they'll know of a supplier for you. I wish I could have been more helpful. :cry: