So Many Pieces but no alternatives….

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jewell, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    To get the product that I want I often have to purchase it online, often from the manufacturer.
    A heavy weight sprinkler with the function I wanted came in pieces. Okay no problem.
    33CAB86A-B478-49FF-AF5A-9B97AA4C891E.jpeg
    The bamboo clothes rack for the washroom was pretty straight forward. Both had some instructions. The wheelbarrow had no instructions but it slowly came together.

The problem I am having is with a small bistro set. Instructions are okay but so many pieces. Don’t tighten until all pieces are attached. Loosen, shift, tighten, loosen again to shift again. This one is a challenge to my limited DIY skills.

B14B6C04-EC65-43C8-823E-0A8596381D5F.jpeg 9A3F75A1-8A87-432F-A42E-96B56027CA49.jpeg C67AAEA0-8225-4893-9DCA-F1D1254D73C9.jpeg

My dislike for the project was so strong I went and did some hedging which I really hate doing. Eventually the two chairs and table will get put together but I’ve decided it will be a slower process than normal.

‘What has been your experience with purchasing bits and bobs to put together?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ive been pretty lucky with the things that I have ordered so far. The one exception is the entertainment unit we built a few years back... it was almost divorce time after that one! :smt005

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I've got 2 bird seed feeders that i have to take apart to clean them, they're simple to do.
    I've got a new one that's called ring pull, you just twist the base off and pull the ring to loosen the portals. That's the easy part, it's putting it back together that's difficult, but it's so simple when you know how after a few goes. Also it's best not to take the base apart.

Advertisement
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I have stopped using bird feeders . The birds are missed. The biggest problem are the stellar jays as they come as a bully group and chase all the other birds away. Just sticking to water features for now… a lot to prepare for winter some have lil pumps others need to shut down before the freeze.

eileen, Logan and Jewell like this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Ah, bird feeders…they turned into squirrel and cat feeders last winter. I moved them far away from the house because the squirrels made such a mess and could take them apart better and faster than me. Unfortunately not all squirrels are created with the same intellect. One squirrel managed to get its tail wrapped/twisted in the hanger. It was stuck until I managed to unwind it. After that mishap we only have hummingbird feeders.

8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Don't have trouble with squirrels here, they stay in the spinny down the path not far from us. Used to have trouble with starlings so only put out the seed and oats. But now they've declined, so i can put out bird cake now.

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Those bags of nuts and bolts make my head hurt Jewell - good luck with that one. :) @Netty - that made me laugh.

My most challenging was a snow blower about 5 years ago? Hubby was recovering from shoulder surgery and winter was coming. I ordered a snow blower and assembled it in the living room. The old plough truck and I didn't get along, and it needed Hubby's magic touch to run every day, which I didn't have.

It took me some time because a page was missing in the directions ( somewhere between steps 6 - 8 ), and because I had a frustrated, medicated, sore, " wish I could help my wife" foreman giving helpful suggestions from a recliner five feet away ( bless his post surgical heart, but the joke is he is lucky that the nurse didn't put a couple extra pills in his tea).

I put it away and assembled it at 3 am while the foreman slept. The next day I walked him through my completed task and had a sheepish nodding head of approval - and best behaviour for the remainder of his recovery :)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I love that story Mel.
    You are quite the girl.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

"he is lucky that the nurse didn't put a couple extra pills in his tea." Oh I know that feeling only too well!! ;)

12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's a good one Mel.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Great story Mel… Gotta say, “ It’s always something”.:shrug:

I have done all the prepping for winter.. watering system lines pulled hoses and computer signal apparatus on the hoses for the b-hive system on iPhone for auto watering the garden.it’s a great way to keep a couple acres watered daily hooked up to soakers. Lots of hoses…hooked to soakers in several zones. Did winterize the whole system to protect from freezing. We have hit the rainy season. I Put the big tractor in the barn for the winter ❄️. Nov 2nd first freeze expected.

My DH is in the hospital this week. Can’t go see DH because of the virus issues . He had to wait in the emergency hall on a gurney for two days before getting a room.

The last few days have been challenging . Now I have a flat on my lil tractor , ordered two new front tires .

Yeap… It’s always something..:shrug:

14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Pacnorwest - I'm sorry to hear about you DH's hospitalization. That can be difficult times. He will be very happy to see you and and be back home in his own space and your TLC. Be sure that you take care of the caregiver - you.

Cayuga Morning, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That sounds like a great feeder L. I'd be lost without my bird feeders. I'm happy that you area able to enjoy them too.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  16. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thanks Mel… hoping to have DH home soon.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.