soil augmentation

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by james ward, Mar 16, 2008.

1. james ward

james ward New Seed

Hello everyone from Los Angeles,

The soil where I live is volcanic clay and sandstone. What would you recommend I use to augment the soil? I was told to avoid manure by a nursery. They said I should just use plant food. Shouldn't I encourage the soil by breaking it up around the top of the plants and adding a good compost of some type?

Thanks,

Ward

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi James, welcome to GardenStew.

Plant food is great for plants but doesn't do anything for the overall health of the soil. Compost is always the best amendment. You can gently dig into the soil around the plants, top dress with compost and water in well.

Have you had your soil tested to find out if it is too low or too high in the basics? After getting the test results you would know how much/if any Nitrogen, Phosphorus or Potassium to add.

Composted or well rotted manure is okay, rabbit manure is good too, but it would be best to stay away from the 'straight from the animal' manure.

3. james ward

james ward New Seed

soil testing

Toni
    Thanks for the input.
    I have never had soil tested is that something I can do at a nursery?
    Jim

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They might, give them a call to see. Actually what they would do is give you instructions on how to collect the soil samples then they send it off to a soil lab.

Contact the agriculture department of a local college, they can tell you where to have it done. The lab used by a college or your agricultural extension service will probably be more accurate.

Advertisement
  5. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Welcome to the stew James. Lots of great people who are knowledgable and full of great ideas. Enjoy!

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome to the Stew, James, from mid-Norway. :D I'm sure you'll like it here. I've no experience with volcanic clay or sandstone.

7. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Welcome to the Stew James.
    I have no idea of how to deal with volcanic soil. please let us know how you do and please do not hesitate to ask for help. There is always a knowledgable Stewbie somewhere that might know.
    Great to have you here.

Gosh I just know how to test for what type of soil as in clay,loam, sandy, or teh axact amount of silt and when it comes to pH of the soil - I also do what Toni does. Except that our local municipal offices here also has an water affairs and forestry section and I ask for a favour (the favour being: you test my soil and I will exchange some of my seedlings and produce with you.) I must actually hope that the person that I have this arrangement with does not retire soon.