Soil Bag Flowers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Feb 1, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hello everybody, Has anyone ever tried a rock garden with bags of soil? Where you poke holes in the potting soil bags and plant impatiens in there,and add a couple extra bags for drainage. then place rocks all around the bags.You can add extra if you want a higher garden,There are no weeds to contend with which is great. I done this last year and it was beautiful, The impatiens spread everywhere,and you couldn't see a bag anywhere, I loved it.I just thought I would pass it along. It was so easy and neat.

Margie

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That sounds great and easy to handle.I will try to do that this year.Thanks Margie.

4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

That does sound like a good idea, I have lots of impatiens that reseed every year & I save the seeds too. Do you have a photo of them blooming?

5. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Flowers in a bag

No I don't have a pic. For some reason I didn't even think about pics. of it I was so busy just like the rest of you were, It was kind of back away from other things and got left out for pics. I don't know why it was very pretty.

Sorry :( Margie
    I will take some this spring for sure.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

What a neat sounding idea!!! Now, what exactly do you mean when you say "add a couple extra bags for drainage.."? And how big were the bags -- how many plants did you put in there? This sounds like such a brilliant idea... You could put one anywhere... Now, how did you water it? Just spray the plants?

7. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

I use 20 lb. bags and you can use as many or few as you want ,it's just in how big or little you want it. And I just sprayed them with the hose with a gentle spray.I put a few extra bags it seems like the water just didn't sit in the middle of the bags that way it kind of run down the edges,after the flowers got in there it looked really neat. I used 12 bags but I wanted a nice size one, I just used the cheapest potting soil they had. Next year I will use the 40 lb. bag because I think it will even be cheaper and won't have to use as many I think it is like 2.27 a bag. I put rocks all around the bags and after the flowers started it just looked like a big rock garden. I hope you all give it a try.

Margie

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That sounds really neat and I think I have a good spot for it. Need to gather up some good size rocks.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have a perfet spot for it.I can't wait to try it.I have the rocks already.Its sounds like the perfect thing in my rock garden.

10. dearnheart

dearnheart New Seed

i love rock gardens do you have a pic of it in the spring?

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

That sounds like a wonderful idea Margie. I don't have much shade and I think that is what Impatients need. I may try it anyway in my only shaded area. I was planning to put elephant ears but this sounds so pretty. Can't wait to see everyones pictures. :p

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I don't see why you couldn't put sun lovers in there, KG... what do you think? Maybe portulaca? They like to spread all over. Or trailing petunias? Potato vines? Ooh, I'm getting lots of ideas.