Some Things Seem Designed To Frustrate You

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 22, 2024 at 10:45 AM.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Around the side and the front of our house we have 5 PIR security lights, (and three in the garden). One high up on the wall over the front door. A porch light below it and three on the side of the house along our drive.
    The one high on the front wall had a mind of its own lately, coming on frequently when there was nothing activating it.
    So yesterday, I bought a replacement. I wasn't going to pay for something fancy, I thought £18 was enough.
    But it was a nightmare to change over.
    It's pretty hard doing stuff like this when you're up a ladder. It's not the height, (or the fact that I'm 84), it's that you haven't enough hands.

I removed the faulty one and tried to connect the cable to the block inside the new one.
    But it was of such poor quality and one screw was missing, I couldn't find another in my "screw box" and the other screws in the block weren't holding the supply wires tightly enough. I gave up in the end.

So I went down to the village DIY shop and bought a new strip of connectors and cut a block of four off.
    upload_2024-9-22_10-44-51.jpeg

Then swopped all the wires over, (one at a time!)

A full block was only 99p, so why couldn't the manufacturer use a decent one?
    Also, the light didn't come with a bulb, but fortunately I had a couple of spares for the other lamps.

Job done!

[​IMG]

Well not quite, the controls, need balancing out at dusk..... So the ladder will have to come out again...but not last night!

2. Loading...