Someone ate my Hyacinth Bean Vine.... again!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cherylad, Jun 11, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The first one's were already climbing up the strings. I noticed one look like it was dying, but on further inspection, it was broken off about 4 inches above the ground. So I untangled and removed it from the string in hopes that it would continue to grow. Three other's looked okay. Next day... another one broken. I thought maybe it had gotten windy and strings flopped around too much and caused them to break? I had some started in pots and planted them to help make up for the broken ones. A couple days later... all were gone! Dang it! So I put some seeds in the ground. They sprouted quickly and before they could put on their second leaves... gone! I'm guessing it's a rabbit. I've never had a problem with one eating anything! And now this??!!
    So, I think I have a few more seeds left. And I'll be putting a cage around them this time. Hear that rabbit??!!! :twisted:
    But for a backup plan... what other fast growing annual flowering vine could I plant in it's place?

2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't know of any fast growing vine but honeysuckle seems to grow anyplace without problems. You should attract the hummingbirds. Clematis is a good one that grows fairly fast here and through the years I have never had anything eat it.

I do have something nibbling off the tops of my petunias that I planted in the ground so I guess I better keep them in containers. Good Luck..

4. cherylad

Sherry... I was just talking to a co-worker about this too.
    I looked and don't have any more Bean Vine seeds. And it's probably too late to even try them again.
    I was leaning towards something annual because I liked the idea of being able to change it up. The area where it would be planted is that old umbrella stand that I showed last year.

[​IMG]
    Hyacinth Bean Vine ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I have plenty of honeysuckle growing wild over by my neighbors fence, so I'll pass on that suggestion, but thanks.

I may give Morning Glories a try next year. Unless I go ahead and decide to go with a perennial vine, like another Clematis.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Make wabbit stew......before the next years growing season. :D :D

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

the rabbits and chipmunks always ate my morning glorys so I never tried them again. Maybe you will have to look for a spray that will help them stay away from whatever you plant.

7. cherylad

Barb... no one would be able to eat THAT MUCH stew. :D And honestly, I like having them around.

Sherry... This would have been the 4th year that I would have had them growing... and in almost the same spot... and this is the first time they have been eaten. Guess there's a new bunny in town with discerning tastes? :D
    It would be very impractical for me (cost wise) to try to keep deter them with a spray since I'm in a very open rural area. I'll just have to plant something that they don't like.
    I'd better have a talk with my dog and make sure she is ever so diligent in chasing rabbits away. :stew2: