Sometimes You can't Put Off Doing Something Any Longer.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Jul 4, 2024 at 8:40 PM.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I like to play the two jukeboxes I have in our summerhouse, when I'm working in the garden.

This is the younger of the two.
    It dates from 1976. They were produced for hotel foyers and high-end bars, where "Silver Age" machines were considered to be out of place. The graphic is a reproduction of Monet's Sunlight Under the Poplars.
    I've had it about fifteen years.

[​IMG]

Over time, I've had a problem with the carousel motor, running slow, to the extent it would often activate the trip that protects the mechanical side.
    I took it out and gave it a bit of a service a few years ago, but it was recently doing it more frequently. It meant that sometimes if the next selection was a couple of dozen records further away in the carousel than the last played, it would stop.

So I "bit the bullet," and took it out this morning. This was no easy task. A question of removing three bolts.
    Sounds easy, but it's a nightmare.
    It would have been impossible without a set of spinners.

[​IMG]

There's no way you could get any sort of regular open-ended or ring spanner on the bolts.

To be able to see anything, the front had to come off. It's just two latches that secures it at the top.
    I've added a 60w heater, which gets turned on during the cold months, as these machines, "don't like it cold or damp."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the back panel.

> [​IMG]

This is all you can see.

[​IMG]

It was a question of finding the bolts by "feel" and then getting a spinner on them. You have to do this, by lying full-length on the floor. Not too easy when you're 84.

These motors are exceptionally well-made. They had to be, as most jukeboxes in their time were working all day, every day.

[​IMG]

There was a lot of scoring on the armature. This happens if dirt gets between the brushes and the armature.

[​IMG]

I'd attempted to reduce this on a previous occasion, but it was difficult, so didn't do it that well.
    But this time I used a tip given me by another jukebox enthusiast. I put it in my electric drill and then locked the drill in the vice on my bench. Then wrapped a strip of emery paper lengthways around half a pencil. Just a question of turning on the drill and holding the pencil against the armature. A few changes of paper and the job was done in a few minutes. Then I carefully ran the tip of a Stanley knife blade to scrape out a bit of the insulation between the segments, as these need not to be proud of the rest of the armature.

I did connect it up and had it running to check it out before I started to put it back in.
    Getting it back into the jukebox is a bigger nightmare, as you're doing it by feel. I put Blu-tac around the bolt and the head of the spinner to stop it falling off. I managed to wedge a Philips head screwdriver through one of the holes in the motor bracket and the jukebox chassis to line it up, So I could screw in the first two bolts.
    Sounds easy, but it took me half an hour to get it back in.
    Now in perfect working order.
    If I'd called out one of the very few jukebox servicing companies, no way would they have wanted it to do it here. They'd want to take it back to their workshop and raise it off the ground to a working height. This would have cost "an arm and a leg."
    It cost me 59p for a sheet of emery paper.

[​IMG]

Nate77, Sjoerd, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Exceptional work at any age. Great job

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

These motors also start to become troublesome when greace in their worm gear assembly gets old and gummy. So I always open that section, wash it in petrol, (gasoline) - But when putting them back together, I don't apply ordinary grease. Instead I apply silicon grease. Yes it's costly, but for such beautiful vintage items with nostalgic and sentimental value, it is well worth it.

Since this jukebox is from 1976, the grease inside it must have dried out 25 years ago. Silicon doesn't dry up, as it doesn't have any moisture content in it which can evaporate. Thats5why it'll last forever.

All in all, I think you're done an excellent work of restoration and maintenance on such a beautiful piece of an iconic time and culture. I wish more people had your enthusiasm to preserve such things.

Everybody, please give @Doghouse Riley a like for sharing with us all that he did here!

:stew1:

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

By the way, I use this screwdriver to get in all the tight places. It's ratcheted in both directions, while centered is locked, so can be used like a normal screwdriver also. And it's got a tilting head. Therefore this is unbelievably useful. It has all the different type of tips in the back. But more can be ordered when we need to open nuts and bolts.

IMG_20240705_052428_044_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240705_052437_415_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240705_052454_789_copy_2296x1008.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/NK3rOplCN40

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

S-H likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Thanks for the kind words.
    I did actually check out the gearbox.

P1010216.JPG

The gear wheel is actually plastic. It looked as if it had been serviced before. It wasn't too bad, but I cleaned it out and changed the grease anyway. The jukebox had been in private for at least twenty years before I bought it on eBay. It was in excellent cosmetic condition, other than it reeked of cigarette smoke and needed a good clean.
    The way the jukebox was made, it was designed in a way that you could get a spinner on anything. It reminded me of a pre-war Rover 16 car I had in my teens. That was designed in a way that any nut or bolt anywhere on it, you could get "half a turn" on it with a ring spanner.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 8:25 AM
    S-H and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chapeau, Riley.
    Great skills that you have.