Speaking of Canna...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I grow a lot of them. Last year I gave away a cubic yard of rhizomes to the local Metro-Parks. This year they didn't return any phone calls, so I called the Master Gardeners in two counties. They have come and dug their own.

I've informed them of how to scarify the seed and start from there.

Don't know how it came about, but now, I'm to give a class on canna culture, care, and propagation. It was also mentioned that I should give some demonstrations on seed starting with canna.

Watch out for them Master Gardeners, they's slick I tell you!

TheBip and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. kate
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. kate
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH, yes, those MGs will get you every time! We did a class on native plants and water conservation for MGs in two counties. I must admit the class that had just started up was more fun--they were so eager, so involved, and so happy! They built a community park at a local public housing complex, and it was great. We were honored to contribute some plants and to be there for the dedication.
    It sounds like your MGs recognize talent when they see it. Enjoy the class (I'm sure the participants will!).

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I remember the first time I was asked to give a demonstration. It was nothing to do with gardening but on how to make soft toys (something I was 'into' many years ago.) I was so nervous that I could hardly string my words together let alone my fingers. :rolleyes:
    I hope your class and demonstration go really well and that you thoroughly enjoy yourself. :-D

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's sounds both fun and challenging. Please let us know how they go.

6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have an amaryllis plant that I started from seeds given to me at the seed swap on our last gardening forum. The websites I found tried to discourage starting them from seed, and said they would take 3 to 5 years to bloom. Well, they are about 3 years old now, and doing quite nicely. Maybe I will get lucky and they will bloom this winter ? It is supposed to a red and white amaryllis.

Maybe I will try starting cannas from seed if mine ever bloom...I will add some compost to their soil over the winter, perhaps that will help. Right now, they are resting comfortably in my laundry room.