Spray painting alluims flowers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Feb 8, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Last year while at Iowa State fair. I did a about Face and stared at this flower. I have several Globe Master alluims-the bigger blooming ones. I asked guide "I didn't know they had red ones also" she :D told how they cut and spray fresh bloom.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've seen daisies that were cut and put into colored water to take up the tint. Green petals on daisies? Never heard of actually painting a flower. Perhaps that is where the expression "gilding the lily" comes from!

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

She said they just mist little at a time. Have gotten lot of ideas there at Fair. Wish I had brought camera. Will next time.

I did a google search and found one picture lady posted. She Painted her's blue.Maybe can red,white,blue theme under my USA flag.

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When I worked in the flower shop we had every color imaginable under the counter to spry the flowers. It is a special paint specifically for fresh flowers, but still looks quite fake. All those baby blue flowers for baby arrangements had to come from somewhere and they usually came via a can of paint.

in order to get that perfect complementing corsage/boutineer for some absurd colored dress...via paint...etc. ect.etc.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

And that paint stinks too!! :-x

carolyn likes this.
  7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Something must had been wrong with my CP. I got double e-mails yesterday.It double posted on it's own.I didn't notice any smell in bloom. But it was sprayed in May. And state Fair was in late August

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Once the paint is dry, you usually don't notice any, or not much, smell. They still don't really look real though.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

There is a garden down the street that grows giant alliums. After the blooms are past their peak, they spray paint them neon orange. They stay that way until spring. At first I had to double take that...I almost thought there was a new cultivar on the market!

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

When Jerry looked them thought they had used Powder paint. He use to do that at Amana plant.But when looking at new catalog see they type that bloomed a lot later. But REAL $$$$

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, That actually sounds like a great idea...with a little more realistic color.