Sprout from Colorado

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Sprout, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Sprout

Sprout New Seed

Hi. I think I joined before, but since I couldn't remember my user name, I had to reregister with a different e-mail address. I'm surprised "Sprout" wasn't taken. This will be my fifth year as a gardener, but I still feel like a raw beginner, so I guess the term "sprout" is appropriate.

I plant vegetables mainly, although I have a huge peach tree that gives forth a lot of peaches most years. Sometimes, like last year, the frost gets to it, and then I get nothing. I've also tried growing melons, but I have had no luck whatsoever. Sometimes I get plants that grow, and even flower, but not a melon to be had. My zucchini harvest depends on the weather. If it's a hot, dry summer, I get more zucchini than I know what to do with. If it's a cool, wet summer like last year, then no zucchinis. However, I had plenty of snow peas and lettuce last year.

I want to mix some things up a little this year. Zucchinis and melons in the raised beds and brassicas in the ground. Peas in the tomato planters and carrots in the raised bed where the peas were last year.

I also plant flowers. I planted a line of lilacs by my fence. Someday they'll grow up to be a big, strong privacy hedge. I also planted a lot of bulbs and a couple blueberry bushes.

I also have cats, more than I ever figured on having. I took in a stray last fall. He was very aggressive and mean acting when he first wandered into my yard, but as I started feeding him and keeping company with him he gradually mellowed. When the cold weather started coming in and the raccoon chased him up onto the roof and stole his food, I decided to take him in. Most of the time he's a sweet little guy, although he still bites occasionally. I can't really call him a "little" guy, though. Once he found out about the magic bottomless kibble bowl, he began ballooning out. Now he's bigger than my Maine Coon.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glad you came back to join us again Sprout, welcome to GardenStew!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

HI Sprout :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

welcome back Sprout.
    This will be my first full year with blueberry bushes. We picked up 4 if they do good I'll go get more. Anyway, Glad to have you back with us.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome back Sprout. What part of Colorado do you live in? I lived in the mountains west of Denver almost 40 years ago, don't imagine that area is as quiet and homey as it used to be.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Sprout! I also am interested in what area of Co you live. I lived in Estes Park and Ft. Collins in the 80's when I was a much younger gardener. I didn't grow much of anything up in the mountains except pansies :D And in the Fort, we had two goats on the property, so everything I tried to grow was eaten up! They even ate the roses! My Mom still lives up in Estes, and I've helped her start a flower garden with some success, but up there, some critter digs underground and eats up a lot of it. She does have a nice herb bed.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome, Sprout, from the very cold, very snowy coast of mid-Norway. I'm glad you remembered us and came back. :stew2:

That stray of yours sounds just like our last stray. Yes, he lives here, alongside the first stray. :D

9. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Hi there and Welcome back.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello there Sprout. So glad you found us again so another BIG welcome from a very snow bound Scotland. :stew1:

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome back, Sprout...from east Texas. Glad you returned to us!

12. Sprout

Sprout New Seed

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I live in a suburb just east of Denver, so I live on the plains, not in the mountains.

It's been a very cold winter here so far. There's still snow on the ground from last month, and that's unusual. Usually the snow melts fairly rapidly.

The only critters here who eat plants are rabbits and squirrels. I have plenty of yellow jackets and spiders. It would be bad enough if they just stayed outside where they belong, but they won't.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hello sprouts and welcome back to our Stew from another Texan.