Squirrels have returned!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Oct 12, 2015.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yesterday I went to a place in Karachi called the Avari Towers. And as I was admiring the very well kept gardens, (which is actually a passion of Mr. Behram Avari who owns this 5 star hotel) - I suddenly felt as if someone was looking at me, looking at me with an intense stare... I looked around to see if it was some security guard, or a maybe a CCTV camera that was fixated on me, (I often get this feeling whenever somebody is looking at me intensely)...

Anyway, as I turned around to see who was looking at me, I found that it was this little guy munching on some nuts! :D

ClipBoard1.jpg

Anyway, as I was going back to my car, this little guy followed me all the way, (jumping from tree to tree)! However he (or she) had over a dozen friends jumping around also! :D

ClipBoard2.jpg

Anyhow, this was an excellent sight to see. I had heard from many elderly people that Squirrels (as well as owls) were very common in the city once upon a time. However now, thanks to the uncontrolled expansion of our concrete jungle, their numbers had become almost nil... But in the last quarter century, there have been many serious efforts made to make the city as green as possible - So the result is what I can now see with my own eyes! Squirrels have returned! And in our culture they are said to bring good luck! :D

Mr. & Mrs Avari today run their chain of hotels across Pakistan and the Middle East, however aside from that, they are very passionate horticulturists too. So it is thanks to them that our indigenous squirrels have once again found a home!

[​IMG]

A bit of history about Mr. & Mrs. Avari - In the past they (as a husband and wife team) excelled in the sport of sailing, and together won many medals for Pakistan! However their most unforgettable display was seen when they participated in 1982 Asian games and won gold medal in sailing. Till this date it is the only gold medal by any Pakistani woman in Asian Games. Mrs. Goshpi Avari is still very active for promotion of sports among women in Pakistan. While Mr. Avari runs the family business, as well as promotes the concept of growing plants and trees with his wife!

The Avari Towers Hotel of Karachi:

[​IMG]

The Beach Luxury Hotel, about which I also made a post in 2013 (see link below), is also owned by them!

http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/if-only-trees-could-also-talk.28823/#post-261697

The Beach luxury Hotel of Karachi:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    eclecticgarden and zuzu's petals like this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Wouldn't the world be better with more people like the Avari's? It's amazing what your city has done in such a short time.

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

The actual funny thing over here is - People often complain that staying in or simply dining at the Avari Towers or the Beach luxury hotel is too costly. But still many keep coming back for more, as both hotels are know to make the best seafood in Karachi, (probably because Mr. Avari himself is the chief taster)! However, it now seems that our indigenous squirrels can enjoy the Avari's hospitality for free, (while everyone else gets to pay through their nose)!!!
    :smt044 :rofl: :smt005

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Beautiful pictures, all - but I just love that adorable squirrel! :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love squirrels so I am glad that they have returned for your area to enjoy.
    I had a relative that was putting a new roof on their home and a squirrel got in somehow.... Months passed and their cat was getting thinner and kind of frazzled.....they were surprised one day to find a squirrel inside. I am not sure how they got it out but at least the cat got to eat her own food once again.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I put out peanuts for the Blue Jays and the Squirrels. There was a young female out front early last year that would sit on the fence and turn her head like she was actually listening to me when I talked to her every morning. Then one day she disappeared right about the time I noticed a Hawk flying around the neighborhood. I really miss that cutie.