staking glads..

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Annette, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Annette

Annette Seedling

i have some glads between my peonies & baptisia and thought that would be enough support for them, but they've grown to be over 5' tall, and the blooms continue to flop over at the least hint of a breeze. my brother suggests i get a trellis for them, but i'm not sure that is what i want. any suggestions as to what would be an effective support for them?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They won't grow up a trellis but you could use some zip ties, strips of old pantyhose or string to tie them to it.

I use long bamboo stakes or straight sticks that fall off the pecan trees, stick them into the ground next to the Glads and use string or zip ties to tie them to the stake.
    The sticks will be pretty much hidden by the plants themselves and much easier to take up and store after the Glads die back than a trellis.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Agreed. I use thin bamboo stakes when I need support for my glads. The leaves hide the stake and you get nice blooms.

5. Annette

Annette Seedling

thanks toni & netty....i was thinking along those lines and your suggestions confirm my instincts....and in all truthfulness, i bought them at the dollar store a few years ago and didn't think they would survive the winters here, but they have, and i do think they are beautiful!

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I Put some of mine throw those grow stakes. Got at GardenSupply catalog.Have used them for many years.used them all kinds of plants.But have to be careful-have tripped on them.Blend in with plants.