Star Jasmine - in NH

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by ToadinNH, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

So - I was at the local H-Depot while looking for some flowers that would smell really good.

So I'm walking around, and like a hound-dog I catch this scent. "Where is that coming from?!?" Then I find it. Star Jasmine vines...all done up nice and pretty.

I'm thinking "I'll kill 'em. Forty bucks a pop and I'll kill 'em...I just know it."

I took two home.

This was two months ago. The BEST plants I ever bought! They are doing GREAT! Only bad thing is I can't put them in the ground up here.

Any tips on repotting them when I bring them inside for the winter? The soil they are in currently seems rather poor. Should they me misted or anything?

I love these plants more than anything I've ever grown. The troublesome Stock flowers remind me of Florida, but these - oh boy! I can close my eyes and be there...a margarita helps, too =)~

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Instructions

Select a pot with a width that is about one-third to one-half larger than the current pot. Choose a pot that has several drainage holes on the bottom for proper moisture control.

Place a 1-inch thick layer of washed pea gravel in the bottom of the pot. Add enough potting soil to allow the surface of the star jasmine's rootball to remain slightly below the rim of the pot. Gently tamp the layer of soil with your fingertips to form a flat surface.

Remove the root ball from the existing pot by gently easing the sides of the soil away from the pot edges with your fingertips. Tip the pot on its side to facilitate careful removal of the root ball. Avoid pulling the plant out of the pot by the fragile vines and stems.

Steps continued at ehow.com link: http://www.ehow.com/how_12067949_repot- ... smine.html

4. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi ToadinNH,
    I agree it is a great plant, here in the tropical climate it is grown everywhere and makes the best ground cover and climbing plant.I have it on a garden arch...never water it, just give it a very close haircut in winter and it bursts out in spring and flowers until autumn.
    And you are right the perfume is ' to die for'.
    One thing not so good is that the bees love it so you have to walk carefully if you need to go through the archway
    [​IMG]
    Star jasmine just starting to flower ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Star jasmine full bloom ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

oubee and ToadinNH like this.
  5. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

I will check out that link, Eileen. Thank you!
    Don't know if I should cut them way back or not at the end of the season. I don't know how they do indoors. But they are currently blooming non-stop! =)
    Those are just gorgeous, chocolate! Super jealous. The bees up here don't go near my jasmine plants....they actually seem to avoid them. Must be like introducing moonshine to a yankee....LOL