Starting a peony plant

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by momski123, May 13, 2007.

1. momski123

momski123 New Seed

My aunt has some peony plants and I would like to know how to start one of my own. I tried once before with a plant that was my mother's and it didn't work so I don't know what I did wrong. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I have several peonies that we moved from our former house. I didn't do anything special - just dug up part of them and planted them in the fall. They have always been an easy plant for me.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

momski you are in Texas so it could be too hot in Texas for a peony.I've been told over and over they are a cold climate plant.Good Luck.I love then too so let us Texans know if you have one that does well.

5. momski123

momski123 New Seed

starting a peony

my aunt who has the peony that I want to start also lives in TX and hers do very well. We'll see how it goes! :D

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I was told it's best to move and divide peonies in the fall :shrug: My problem is guessing how deep to plant. I know if you plant too deep they won't flower and too shallow they may freeze :rolleyes: I was given a huge bucket full of roots off of a pink peony. When it finally bloomed in my yard it was white!
    Deanna
    :-D

7. JaneK

JaneK New Seed

Here's How

I am in a similar position, I have 3 peonies I planted in the wrong places and will have to move them, so I did some research. According to the Heartland Peony Society, they should be dug up in the fall and the foilage removed. Get all the roots you can. Wash the root ball so you can see the crown of the plant. If it has more than 5 eyes it should be divided with a sharp, clean knife. Each division can be planted, no more than 2 inches deep. If you expect severe conditions in the new location, use mulch to protect the plant, burying it too deeply will cause slow growth and no flowers. Full sun of course, at least here in Asheville, but in Texas with your heat I don't know. Make sure the soil is enriched with organic matter in your new spot and be prepared to wait one or two years for blooming as sometimes they resent being moved. Good luck, and take a picture!