Starting mums from flowers/seed?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cindyfisch, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cindyfisch

cindyfisch New Seed

Hey all, hoping some of you can offer some assistance. I have some mums from a funeral last fall - wanted to plant some of the flowers/seeds around the girls' houses so that they could enjoy the flowers (and remember their father) year after year. I pinched the dying flowers and am wondering when to plant (here in N/E Ohio). Would it be better to attempt to start them in seedling pots indoors (still expecting snow this weekend) or should I just wait another month or so and toss them in the mulch?

Appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Cindy

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mum are very easy to divide and replant. Gently pull a clump apart and put each piece in a pot of soil. Keep in a warmish area until after the snow then if there is no more in the forecast you can put them outside until you are ready to put them in the round. They will survive freezing temps, I have two patches of then that have gone through the heavy ice and snow and temps in the teens, we had in 2010 and again last month with no problems.

They will need to be trimmed back in about July/Aug, that will make them bushier and you will have a wonderful display of blooms in the fall.

4. cindyfisch

cindyfisch New Seed

Thanks for the advice on the existing plants Toni, but my real question is related to the seeds. Do I attempt to pot the seeds and start them in peat pots indoors, should I throw some in a wet papertowel in a ziploc baggie, does it take an expert gardener to grow them from seed? Also, if they were from a funeral - would that be a valid assumption that they are not "hearty" and may not survive the NE winters? They are lovely daisy-like orange/yellow flowers, and another variety with small rust colored flowers - almost like balls there are so many petals on each flower. Was thinking if I could get some started, I could plant the starts at my daughters' houses for them to enjoy this fall. Neither of them give a hoot about flowers/gardens, but it would be meaningful because they were from their father's funeral. Thanks,

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have never tried seeds since they multiply and divide so easily. But you can always do the wet paper towel in a baggie first. That way you will see sooner if they are going to germinate, then pot them up when they have start growing.

The florist they were bought from most likely ordered them from the same grower as the garden centers do or at least through a middleman who did. Mine came from the grocery store flower shop several years ago and have done just fine in the winter weather we have, but you might have to leave them in large pots to be stored in a warmer area during the winter.