Starting our flock again

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, Apr 10, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

As you may remember, a pesky fox broke into our quail house back in the autumn and killed one of my gals and set the rest free - unlike chooks, they can really fly well. I was pleased that they escaped, but I didn't fancy their chances in the wild. However, now spring has sprung, we purchased 7 eggs and put them into our incubator. After 17 days, a chick hatched, daughter number one named it Pip. We had almost given up hope of any others hatching, when, 3 days later, another 2 appeared. Not great odds, 3 out of 7, but better than nothing. We now have another 7 in from another breeder, and they are due to hatch in 2 days time. Mark spent all day yesterday fox proofing the old quailarium with plenty of chicken wire and boarding, so fingers crossed this time, all will remain safe.

Here is Pip at just one day old. So delicate and cute. They grow up to be miserable old thugs. :)

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

Frank, Droopy and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, congratulations to your new beginning. It wasn't good odds, but perhaps you will have more success next batch...do keep us posted.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope the second batch of seven eggs has a better hatch rate than the first lot for you. I'm really pleased you haven't been put off having quails again EJ. Let's hope you'll soon have a nice flock producing eggs for you and that the fox stays away.

Our local farm keeps quails and the first time I saw a new hatchling I was amazed at just how small and delicate it looked. As you say though they do seem to grow up to be birds with attitude that far outweighs their size.

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Congrats on the new arrivals and having the heart to start over again after the disaster last time,..with the added fencing all should go well,..looking forward to seeing my namesake "Pip",..growing up, :) .

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's fantastic EJ! I do hope you have better luck with the second batch of eggs.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Good luck with the fox-proofing, lets hope the fox has moved on and your quail grow up to lead a full life.

Jerry

8. EJ

We have 2 eggs cracking as we speak. :)

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

How exciting! I've never seen a hatchling quail, but if they are all like Pip, they sure are cute.
    One has to persevere--can't let the foxes win. Let us know when the others come out, and post pictures if you can.
    In about six weeks I'll be boring everyone on the forum with hourly updates on my new Australorp chooks (that's chickens for you yanks!).

10. EJ

Five little quail faces greeted us when we arrived home from our outing today. Soooo cute. Thrilled with that hatch rate, and one of the unhatched is cracked, so fingers crossed we could get 6 out of 7. I have taken pics, but my computer has the black screen of death, so I am using hubbies PC. As soon as mine is back on the road, tonight all being well, I will post pics everywhere. :)

Droopy and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wonderful results with the Quail EJ, looking forward to cute pictures of hatchlings.

Jerry

12. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

why do you raise quail?
    I have chickens. I like the eggs for eating. Haven't eaten a chicken though. Would rather eat the eggs at this point.
    I wish I could let my girls free range but the neighborhood cats , dogs and coyote would have a meal of them. Not to mention the hawkes that fly around.
    All my neighbors chickens have been killed. Mine are in a strong chain link dog kennel. double size and there's only 6 of them.
    DMJ

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so pleased to hear that most of the eggs have hatched EJ. I can just imagine the happiness you must be feeling having a little flock of quail again.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great news, EJ--I'm ready for the pics now. :D

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Way to go EJ. :D Good luck with this batch.