Statuary, gee-gaws and whirilgigs

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Primsong, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

There is a small shop that recently opened up in one of the towns here called the "artful garden" - intrigued, I finally found a bit of time while running errands to take a look. I was mildly disappointed to find very little 'real gardening' in the shop (though I did get a pair of gloves), it was instead wall to wall statuary, gee-gaws and whirligigs.

Solar-powered dangling things rotated on one side, a bird-bath with a fogger in the middle of it bubbled on the other...lots of concrete in various shapes and metal worked to be like suns or seashells, filigree and celtic knots. Every possible Saint or other "holy figure" of various flavors (and some that were anything but...leering little hunks of clay....) stood around as if rather bored with the whole proceedings, decorated with twining fake ivy, piles of tumbled rocks or strands of fabric flowers. It was a bit like walking through a concrete people convention. (where's the concrete coffee?)

I have a couple small bits of statuary - my frog (see avatar) came with the house, I have a cat and a brass rabbit that was given to me and not knowing what to do with him, he ended up out under the rose bush. I've never taken to populating my yard with anything resembling people myself - but as I passed a large white prefabricated niche with light that could be purchased to showcase your concrete-people of choice (a miniature version of Michaelangelo's David stood there in the shop, looking rather like I was interrupting his shower) I wondered if any of you had yards thus populated.

What are your thoughts on prefabricated, mass-produced "garden gee-gaws' and do you have any favorites (or "never in MY yard!"s)?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a little marble frog that sits in my 'Lady of the Lake's' hands, a small marble lizard, a pottery tortoise (life sized) and five porcelain toadstools (very small), one large toadstool and a wooden wheel. I WILL NOT have anything that looks 'tacky' and what I have can't even be seen when you walk into the garden - apart from my wooden wheel, the Lady of the Lake and the big toadstool. Sorry Frank but there is no way I'd have gnomes in my garden I'm afraid. :(

When the weather is better I'll take piccies of them if I remember.

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

A few bells and whistles are fine but I don't like overkill

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Well all I can say is that after the garden junk creations posted by members this year how could anything compare. Unfortunately a lot of us aren't as good with our hands as other so maybe this types of stores can fill the void. Bottom line: if you can make it it's better :D

Advertisement
  5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

*raises hand sheepishly* :oops: "guilty"
    Yurp, I got a heap o' "stuff" scattered hither and yon out there. [​IMG]
    Some trash-to-treasure creations in glass and rust, and some concrete stuff, too,
    like the "Venus Rising" that stands in one end of the pond
    and the twin gargoyles that guard the path going back to the studio.
    There's the iron frog trio serenading in front of the glasshouse, and, of course,
    Tanuki the bandit badger and erst-while gnome home sub-contractor.

There's more, and I have to agree, it does sound bad when I list it like this,
    but somehow, it all makes my garden more . . . . . . [​IMG] ME.

6. reggaefan

That's the point ZZP it is after all up to you. Sharon may disagree with my thougt(Gee that would be a first)LOL

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Yes, but yours is unique, which is what makes it very cool - it's that "mass produced look" that makes me scratch me head... and they aren't cheap either! Every one of those ubiquitous St. Francis/Buddhas/giant wooden butterflies cost that person a fair penny. I would rather take that money and get supplies to make something one of a kind, or find something from a local artisan.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I would rather something handmade and unique, but I have some stuff that was given to me, and I have an angel on a swing from WalMart, and a solar powered church also from WM. If I like it I buy it.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have lots of things in my yard.2 gnomes ,a little Dooley,A water fountain with a human pouring water,a metal headboard,a doe deer and fawn.A donkey and cart with plants in it.2 cement bird baths,Bird house.Like Cajunbelle anything I like I put.I am probably one off those people that has an ugly design.Lol but if I like it its ok.

10. reggaefan

No such thing as a ugly garden

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I have 2 brass cranes in the front bed, a huge pot in the east bed, my blue pot with water flowing over it, a wooden ant creeping through the azaleas along the garage. I think that's it. I do love huge pots, but as pricey are they are, I am lucky to have two.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have one big Egyption Pot I paid 17.00 for at an auction.I thought it was a good deal.I forgot my cement armadillo, and pig and geese and ducks.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a few gnomes, 3 rabbits, a turtle, some frogs, 2 roosters, and a butterfly.
    Oh yes, and the Swedish gnome I got for my birthday.

14. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I admit after being here, I am tempted to get a gnome - they have good associations for me now. Come to think of it, that is something that shop was missing, it did not have a single good, honest gnome... just some odd things that looked more like what I might think a snotgurgle looks like.