Stevia seeds

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by DMJ24, May 2, 2011.

1. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

Does anyone have stevia seeds they would be willing to share?I would be happy to send a SASE.

2. Loading...

3. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

I would like some too. Thanks.

4. Jan.C

Jan.C New Seed

Diane, I planted some last year but didn't save seeds. Know you can purchase them from "Johnny's". I just buy another plant or two, when I see it. Jan

5. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I've had no luck germinate stevia seeds that I bought from Parks. And, I've tried under grow lights on a heat mat. Used up all my seed.

I wised up and I bought a plant, I put it in a 10" pot and bring it indoors for the winter. I made a couple of cuttings last year and both made it so I passed one to a neighbor. Her stevia looks great. I now have two plants going in pots.

They live happily outside now and through the summer. When my stevia plant started looking scraggly with most leaves turning brown, assuming there was nothing to loose I pruned it back to just above the dirt. Darned if it didn't start coming back. So I gave it a little liquid seaweed and all is well.

If you are growing stevia for sweetner, I encourage you to just get some at the store and try it to see if you like it. I use a leaf or two in a gallon pitcher of iced tea with 1/3 measured cup of sugar.
    I think it tastes fine. My son swears he notices an after taste just like the stevia powder from the health food store.

If you do get stevia to germinate, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Pricklypear, I have germinated stevia, but my germination rate was very poor. I attributed that to it being last years seeds. I bought them off the clearance rack.
    I also agree with your son about the aftertaste. I find it waaaaaaaay to sweet for me, also. So I have a plant just taking up space in my greenhouse. If one of you wants to come pick it up, you may have it. Or maybe I should let it go to seed and send you all seeds, let me know if any of you are interested in that. Carolyn

7. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I think the drive would make my husband break out in a cold sweat. I can hear it now""""...$150.00 in gas to pick up a plant! What were you thinking!!!???...""""
    But I would love some seeds if you can get them!
    dmj

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, I can relate to the astonishment for going after A plant. So as soon as I have some seeds I'll let you know. My husband thought going to Texas TO LOOK at a tire for a piece of heavy equipment was saving some $$$$, until I said "WHAT!!!???? do you know how much we will spend in gas just to go see it? So I understand completely.