Stinky Tofu, a very strange tasting dish

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Frank, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I am currently in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan. My friend suggested I try stinky tofu, which is a fermented tofu made by mixing the tofu with various things like vegetables, meat broth and milk until it ferments.

It tastes like old, sweaty socks. My friend also heard it described as tasting like a zoo!

[​IMG]
    Stinky Tofu, tastes 'unique' ( photo / image / picture from Frank's Garden )

That said, I did finish the whole dish, but it took me the good part of an hour to do so :stew1:

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Frank, in future avoid tofu. The only thing tofu is good for is to be used as the paste to hang wallpaper.
    Why on earth would you order and then eat something called "stinky tofu"? Are you sure this person who recommended it is a friend?
    I think I'd better send you a care package.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oner finds remarkable foode on the island. While you are there be sure and visit "Snake Alley", where you can find all sorts of things that are done with snakes from food to medicine to charms.
    They will not let you take foto's but just seeing it all will imprint on your memory.

While in Taipei try and make it out to the museum. The carved treasures brought over from the mainland are remarkable.

Frank likes this.
  4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Ok, Frank. AND Sjoerd. Yuk! I suddenly lost my appetite and won't have to make pancakes after all.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've tried tofu but I have to admit I wasn't impressed by it in the least. You must have a stomach like cast iron to eat that 'stinky' stuff Frank. I'd have left it to wander off into a dark corner and die. :D

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think I would have had to join Eileen in that dark corner. And snake, I hear it tastes like chicken....if you don't know what it is before you eat it. There is a store locally that sells frozen Rattlesnake but I have yet to want to try it.

I have used a more liquid form of Tofu to replace milk in making pudding when we thought our youngest was alergic to milk...but there it had a taste and a reason for being.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I draw the line at eating anything that smells like that must smell. Marlingardener,,, better add Pepto-Bismol to that care package.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

And boy, does it ever smell!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

ROTFL,, We live and learn, don`t we Frank ?

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

YUCKS!!! I'll never eat that damn thing ever again in my life :D It seems to be some kind of weird delicacy for the Taiwanese. I tasted it when I was in Taipei long time back for business so I have to at least taste a little so as not to offend my Taiwanese supplier. The smell is ridiculously repulsive and the whole restaurant inside and outside smell of it.

You are a brave one Frank!! :D

Frank likes this.