Strange bee activity

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by jeff, May 27, 2009.

1. jeff

jeff New Seed

I am a keen lover of nature and live in a concrete jungle in the centre of Brighton. Over the years I have acquired many terracotta pots to create a scent filled environment for me and my disabled son. On returning home from a walk on Monday, I saw an unusual sight on the curtains in my lounge. I hope I have been able to show it . There was a small bee with yellow abdomen, mating with what looked like a black fly. After the mating I could see that it was a black bee. I do not know of this behaviour of bees and have never seen this type of bee, and wondered if anyone might enlighten me. I also captured (I a not a voyeur, just a nature lover)a short video but do not yet know how to attach to this notice. Look forward to hearing something. I also have a few problems with my trees in pots and could do with some advice. Many thanks and good gardening.

[youtube]8Pqd8PV1JnI[/youtube]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I can't see your picture.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome to the Stew, jeff. I can't see it either, and the blue link doesn't work at all.

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I can't see it either. I see that its a .avi. Is that the video you tried to upload?

Advertisement
  6. jeff

jeff New Seed

Hi. Any ideas on how to include the photo? I have tried to load it onto profile.file:/DIGI0103.JPG I think the file is too big as it is over 2 mg. I will try to convert it and send it tomorrow. Have a cool night all. Jeff.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

http://www.gardenstew.com/about4115.html

Or click on the "Insert/Upload a Photo" link just about the box you write your message in and follow the directions.
    Frank has made it really easy to insert photos.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Jeff and a warm welcome to 'The Stew' from West Lothian in Scotland. :-D
    I hope we can shed some light on your strange bee activity when we see your photograph and video. I hope we can also give you advice on the problems you're having with your potted trees. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like as we try our best to help each other out here.

9. jeff

jeff New Seed

Right. I have managed to upload the video file to youtube file name DIGI0102. Its not the best video in the world, but you should be able to see the male and female bees. The female is about the size of a bluebottle so as you can see, the male is quite small. Any ideas anyone please.. New topic. I have an almond tree in a large pot. It flowered and gave me about 25 almonds last year. This year, it gave some beautiful blossom, but it seems to be rely struggling with the leaves. I am feeding it regularly with seaweed + iron Maxicrop, but it does not look too good. any ideas please.

10. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I can't see it either...however some species of bugs/bees will lay their young inside other "hosts". Hot very nice at all.

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Jeff I've added your Youtube video in the original post :)

12. jeff

jeff New Seed

Hi Frank. Dont know how you did it but thanks. Did you view it? if so what do you think?