Strawberry Shortcake

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by cathskitchen, Jan 19, 2007.

1. cathskitchen

cathskitchen New Seed

[​IMG]

The is a very simple recipe from Martha Stewart. The flavor is as good as it look!

- 1 3/4 pounds (6 cups) strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and quartered
    - 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    - 3 cups all-purpose flour
    - 4 teaspoons baking powder
    - 3/4 teaspoon salt
    - 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    - 2 cups heavy cream
    - 2 large eggs
    - 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with 3/4 cup sugar; let sit to bring out their juices.

In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt until combined.

Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal but with some pea-size bits of butter remaining, 10 to 12 times.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and the eggs; pour over flour mixture, and pulse until some large clumps begin to form, 25 to 30 times.

Using a half-cup measuring cup, gently pack dough, invert, and then tap out onto a baking sheet. Repeat to form 8 biscuits.

Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.

Transfer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with the vanilla until soft peaks form.

Slice biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon strawberries and their liquid over bottom halves. Spoon whipped cream on strawberries, and replace top halves of biscuits.

Note: When forming the biscuits, dip the measuring cup in flour to keep the dough from sticking to the cup. Repeat for each biscuit.

To prevent the baked biscuits from crumbling when you cut them, wait until they are cool, and use a serrated bread knife to slice them in half very gently.

SERVES : 8

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the recipe Cath. Your picture certainly had my mouth watering. I've copied your recipe and added it to my dessert file - hope you don't mind.

I hope you'll stay around now that you've found us here at the Stew as we enjoy meeting new people.

4. cathskitchen

cathskitchen New Seed

Thanks Eileen. It's my pleasure to share wonderful recipes to all food lovers. I love cooking and love taking food pictures and share it to others. I certainly will enjoy my stays here. :)

Catherine

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cath how about introducing yourself to the rest of our members in the 'Welcome to GardenStew' forum? I'm sure they'd all love to meet you especially if you post delicious recipes and beautiful photographs. :-D

Advertisement
  6. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I will welcome you here to the stew when the strawberries come in we will try it I am CajunBelles other half. welcome to the Stew from the deep south Louisiana, you will love it here.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

I am a fan of strawberry shortcake, no matter who makes it. Could eat it 3 meals a day, maybe even 4. That is vey like the way Dooley makes it. Welcome to the Stew. Hope yoy enjoy it here.
    dr

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Welcome to the Stew and thanks for the recipe. It looks yummy.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi and welcome to the Stew.I refuse to copy this recipe as if I make it I will Eat it and I am not allowed to have all the butter and thick cream but gosh it makes my mouth water just looking at it.

10. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Oh my gosh!! That looks sooooo good!! Darn I wish I wasn't allergic to strawberries. I get hives something serious and can hardly breathe when I eat them!!
    BTW welcome to the Stew!!

11. bgan10

bgan10 New Seed

Yum

Yeah judging by the look of that picture I will be trying the recipe out forsure. I wish it wasn't so late or else I would start it now. :'(

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That recipe is going in my files too! We are always looking for recipes like this after we go strawberry picking!