Students after feedback for greenhouse idea's

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by antscran, Nov 28, 2014.

1. antscran

antscran New Seed

Hello everyone,

I/we are a group of students studying on a Product Development and Innovation Bachelor Degree in Denmark. We are from a cross professional background, including electronics, automation, construction and IT technologists.

As our chosen field of development we are interested in developing concepts focussed on greenhouse ideas and automation. We have 4 concepts we would like to gain feedback on via an online questionnaire, 20 multiple choice questions (3-5 minutes approximately). We would also be interested in your personal views regarding the concepts, so please speak freely with good or bad comments, either here or in the comments section at the link below. The questionnaire is created using Google Docs, all the results are open for viewing at the bottom of the survey.

http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i4N9F7A ... 8/viewform

Thank you for reading this and hope you can take a moment of your time to look at the survey..

If you have an questions feel free to ask, and I will be happy to answer them.

Regards,
    Ant

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

It says the address is not good. Can you post a clickable link ?

3. antscran

antscran New Seed

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The link worked for me, but once I started answering the questions I realized it was for greenhouse owners. I am only a greenhouse wanter. Sorry!

Advertisement
  5. antscran

antscran New Seed

Hi Netty,

No problem your views are important too, feedback from any potential user is useful.

Thanks for your time :)

6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Link also worked for me. And I have just now also filled the whole questionnaire. Seriously doubt if anyone would really like what I have written, but I was 100% honest... I basically am only interested in one time purchases, as in things which are built to last, and require no serious maintenance. And most of all, don't require any specific spare parts.

So making it compatible with smart phones, webpages, and other bells and whistles may seem cute to many. But for me it only functions as a major annoyance, as well as a solid reason not to buy, (as that will also drive up the cost). Seriously, if it is not repairable by one person with a screwdriver and pliers, then people like me wouldn't be interested in it...

So my advice is to stick with *old school*, and also realize that most of the people you are targeting, are the "do it yourself" kind of people, (so please make some extra effort on making it repair friendly). So use automation whenever and wherever possible, but do so in a way that won't irritate the user/buyer.

Also keep in mind that building a greenhouse is no small undertaking. And so those of us who have committed to it, have done so knowing all the challenges. So we are not afraid to do our own work, as well as fix stuff as it breakdowns... Plus we also have built a lot of our our stuff (so we do enjoy doing many things ourselves). So I say again, that if you put more bells and whistles into it - Then it will only be seen as an annoyance...

So all in all, I say that your effort is good, but the mindset behind the concept is different from mine... But I am sure many people will appreciate the accomplishment, once it is built and marketed - So I wish you the best of luck! :)

By the way, welcome to GardenStew! :stew1:

7. antscran

antscran New Seed

Hey S-H,

Thanks for all the feedback and can totally understand your viewpoint. I have an electronics background and although I like gadgets and technology, if some thing works don't try and fix it is also a belief of mine.

I built my folks a 16m squared greenhouse (from a kit), so have a little experience about them as well as an interest in being a bit more self sufficient someday.

The hydraulic window openers used in Greenhouses are an example, they are reliable, work and are cheap so we don't intend to reinvent these. They need a little tuning but perform the function they are required to do.

If we took a minimum and maximum thermometer these again are useful and function well, but they don't tell you how long it was at that critical temperature, if it was 5 minutes no bother but a few hours maybe an issue. So having access to trending data has certain advantages, this is where digital becomes better than analog.

This is also very subjective as each user case will have different needs, some needs are known and others not known which is why we are conducting this survey.

Best regards,
    Ant

S-H likes this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

OK, now you've just got me thinking... You sure do make an excellent point for having access to trending data - However, the things to note here are 4.

1 - It should not be too big.
    2 - Should be extremely reliable.
    3 - Must be easy to fix.
    4 - Must never cause the feeling of information overload in the user/observer...

So realizing this just made me imagine something like a big wall clock. But with a 24 hour face dial (not a 12 hour) - The hour needle (or call it the arm of the clook) should leave 3 circular trails behind it. And as the needle moves over it's previous markings, it should reset it also - Thus giving the recordings a 24 hour lifespan.

And of the 3 trails, one should be for temperature, one for humidity, and one for the light level. Displayed like the readout of a seismograph, but in a circular clockwise fashion. But also re-settable too, so that no paper or ink is consumed in reality.

If the data needs to be recorded for a longer period (like for a whole season or for many years). Then the user can simply note down all the readings once a day (with a pen and paper) - Or press a button to get a small printout on demand, (like the receipts we get from the supermarket cash registers). As anything more then just the last 24 hour data on the observation point may cause information overload...

So now the challenge is, how to make something like this - Which will not need anything like a constant supply of link, should not breakdown easily. But in case it does, it should be easy to fix also. And must also be reasonably accurate...

You know what? You've just inspired me to take up this challenge of designing! :p

PS
    I always say easy to fix, because I being a doomsday prepper always plan for end of the world scenarios. Where you will not get any more spare parts, and so will have to do everything by your own self... So this is why if something isn't fixable with a simple screwdriver and pliers, and if it isn't built to last either, then in my opinion it isn't worth having.

Having data in a digital way is great, as it makes life very easy (specially when it comes to accessing archived data)! But I also know that hard drives (be they conventional or the new solid state type) are extremely fragile. So are LCD screens, as well as everything else inside the PC. So in a end of the world disaster situation, where we will need our greenhouse the most (to grow our own food). Is where these modern digital gadgets will one by one all let us down.

So this is why I stick with *old school*... As looking at a sundial and astrolabe gives me peace of mind. While looking at a glowing LED clock (over a period of time) only starts to function as a source of optical irritation... So where other long distance hikers today use the GPS function of their smart phones to know exactly where they are - I still use a map and star-chart sealed in clear plastic, along with a magnetic compass and sextant...