Stuff around the yard today

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Jul 12, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My main project after mowing this morning was tackling the blackberries. They are "uprights" but have been flopping over and needed some support. Out to the bamboo stash I have and now they are more manageable.

[​IMG]
    Blackberries supported ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And then it was time for some damage control. Damage by who? ME!

I have some store-bought hose guides... which help... but just aren't doing the job for me. First off the hose must fit right into it's "groove". I'm just not always paying that much attention and have almost wiped out plants. Usually the butterfly garden is more susceptible to dangerous ol' me!
    So... time to dig through the junk.

[​IMG]
    shovel-head hose guide ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And remember that Calla I've been babying? Well... I don't think the amount of sun was the problem. Hubby suggested it was "smothering" from too much mulch. So I cleared the mulch away from it and was doing pretty good. UNTIL I got a tad too close with the weed eater!! :'(
    So... had to make sure that didn't happen again since it is still trying to grow.

[​IMG]
    plant corral ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Now it was time to just relax. A Black Swallowtail Butterfly has been hovering around for a couple of days. I finally was able to get photos of it on the Gold Lantana. I'd like to think that it was one that started off here as a caterpillar.

[​IMG]
    Black Swallowtail on lantana ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Black Swallowtail on Lantana ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Black Swallowtail on Lantana ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And speaking of butterflies. While trying to do some straigtening up, I found this neat little dish that I had put in the "one day I'm going to have a garage sale box". Well... now it's butterfly puddle #2.

[​IMG]
    butterfly puddle #2 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then it was like I had a private circus act. Ladies and gentlemen... feast your eyes on the high wire.
    We have Dragonfly the Magnificent (looking quite scared!)

[​IMG]
    Dragonfly ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And looking more a bit more comfortable (or was he laughing at me?)

[​IMG]
    Dragonfly ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And just a few flower photos.
    Tidal Wave Petunias.

[​IMG]
    Tidal Wave Petunias ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Tidal Wave Petunias ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The fern I got from one my aunts is doing pretty good in the big basket.

[​IMG]
    Basketful of Fern ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And finally... the Reflective Flame water lilies gave me "double-vision". :-D

[​IMG]
    Reflective Flame Water Lilies ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Eye overload!! I just can't make up my mind which photograph is the one I prefer Cheryl. Your butterfly and dragonfly as astounding BUT the petunias,ferm and water lilies are equally as lovely. To top it all the buttefly puddle is really pretty - so glad you didn't sell it in a garage sale.

Now you've coralled your Calla I hope it recovers fully and goes from strength to strength.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Wow is my comment about your Dragonfly pictures,..just astounding!,..and a Butterfly as well,..you had a good day

The Petunias are far in advance to mine,..we have water aplenty but not sunshine of late,..good use for an old bucket as well,..nice one!.

Beautiful water lilies,lol,..they WOULD give you double vision,..Ferns,..aha i love ferns as you can see when you visit my garden,..may yours grow well for you.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Looks great! I love all the pics. Glad to hear the calla is doing better. I would not have thought there was too much mulch down for it. That is an interesting fix for the problem. The weed eater is dangerous in my hands, too. OOPS! I've taken out a few things with mine, too. :eek:

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, all the photos are good and some interesting ideas, but the dragonfly ones are my favorite...thankyou.

7. cherylad

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
    That Dragonfly wasn't awhole lot of fun... he just sat there and sat there.
    At least the butterfly had me chasing it all over with the camera. :-D

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your plants look sooooo much better than mine do.
    I love the basket of ferns, that is a beauty. And the petunias are doing very well.

Your shovel handle hose guard is great. I have an old metal trash can in the bloom house that is holding all sorts of hoes, rakes and shovels that I don't use. I was planning on using the working end as a 'fence' in front of the shrub roses, now I know what I can do with the handle ends too. ;)

9. cherylad

Thanks Toni.
    We tend to keep broken tools... going to get a new handle one day. Yeah right! We just end getting a new tool altogether. :-D
    Never thought about using the "working ends" as a fence. Hmmm.....

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The 'fence' won't keep anything in or out but it really does look cool, especially if the metal is rusted and worn.
    You can stick them straight up or let them lean and sort of criss-cross each other.
    I have a couple of magazine photos of them and the idea has been on my to-do list for a while. :rolleyes:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a good variety of things you featured today, Cheryl. Things are looking very good there.

I liked your blackberry supports, your hose guide and the insects.

That canna is doing really good, but you are dangerous with that strimmer! :) What were you strimming so high up on the canna?

Those flowers were quite attractive to see.
    My very favourite though is the fern basket. I find that especially nice-looking.

Your stuff is looking quite good. Chapeau.

12. cherylad

Thanks Sjoerd for the nice words.
    As far as my destruction... it was the poor little Calla (not Canna) I've been babying. You may remember an earlier post where I'd placed an umbrella to try to block out some sun?
    Well... when the winds got high... let's just say the umbrella was not a very good idea. :oops:
    Almost as destructive as me and the weed-eater! :'(
    Live and learn...
    or in my case... learn and TRY to get the plants to live!

13. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Weed eaters have a talent for being indiscriminant. This year I have wiped out the rain gauge, and several plants now know where not to grow. The swallowtail is a keeper.

Jerry