Stuff I Saw Today in My Garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Just a few things...
    I found the prettiest peachy-colored Vincas a while back.

[​IMG]
    Vincas ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And I finally stopped long enough to get a photo of this yellow Asiatic Lily. I really do need to get more of these for the Lily Bed.

[​IMG]
    Asiatic ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And quite a few of the Mexican Butterfly Weed sprouted this year.

[​IMG]
    Mexican Butterfly Weed ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I couldn't help myself today. On the way home, one of my favorite little nurseries had a sign out front... half off! So I quickly made a U-turn. Came home with a Turk's Cap, Society Garlic and White Texas Star Hibiscus. Total cost $10.

[​IMG]
    Turk's Cap, White TX Star, Society Garlic ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And I recently showed the Blue Butterfly Bush Bloom that I got from the same place. Here is another photo of lots of "butterflies".

[​IMG]
    Blue Butterfly Bush ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And last but not least, the Black Swallowtail Caterpillars finally eating up the sweet fennel.

[​IMG]
    Black Swallowtail Caterpillar ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the color you have there. My Fennel has been dined on by about 10 Black Swallowtail Cats lately, I hope they all make beautiful butterflies.
    I am going plant shopping tomorrow....I hope. There are bound to be some plants on a sale table somewhere just waiting for me.

I really like that Butterfly Bush and I need at least two more Turks Cap and......just whatever I can find actually.

4. cherylad

Toni... I've been telling myself to refrain from getting any more plants right now with the early 100F+ temps and the impending drought. But.... Half off everything? And a $1.99 table? It's like I had no control over the truck. It just went to the next driveway and turned around all by itself! :D
    I've never had a Turk's Cap. From what I've read, it will need to be in a kinda shady spot?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have three in mostly shade and two in full afternoon sun and the two in full sun are larger but they are all blooming nicely already. Weston Gardens in south Ft. Worth that I posted photos from last year, has a large patch of them in full sun and they are huge.

Since you are further south than me you might pick a spot that gets some afternoon shade with morning sun.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the colours of your Vincas, Mexican butterfly weed and the blue butterfly bush!!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Delightful pics, Cheryl. I like all the colour.
    The fancy catterpiller promices more colourful things to come.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    i bet that truck is tuned in,..tuned in to detecting bargains, :) ,..a well spent $10.

That Blue Butterfly Bush is a beauty,..as is the Mexican Butterfly Weed,..at last i see you have Caterpillars to eat your Sweet Fennel,..i regret not having Sweet Fennel,..my Purple Fennel has only one bonus,..the scent is nice,..i would prefer yours with Caterpillars and Butterflies.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Cherylad--Nice posting. I love the photo of the butterfly bush, beautiful! And the orange-yellow of the butterfuly weed is gorgeous.

I have a question for you. What plant is it on the picnic table on the left?
    Love the view of your yard in the background. Very lush.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lovely blooms! I've never seen a peach colored Vinca ... I have pink and white ones. Love that blue butterfly bush too :)

11. cherylad

Thanks Toni... I'll try to get it in a good spot. They guy at the nursery also said to give it "space" too.

Sjoerd... I've seen a few of the Black Swallowtails fluttering around already... and can't wait for more. And the caterpillars are so cute. Their faces remind me of a Tiger.

Philip... I believe you are right about my truck... sometimes it just knows the right place to go at the right time! :D

Cayuga... The one on the left is the White Texas Star Hibiscus.... NOT marijuana (I know what you were thinking, right?) :eek: And the lush looks means its time to mow.

Netty...I've only ever seen the Pink, Red & White Vincas also. So when I saw this color and with the red center, I just had to have some.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

12. oubee

oubee In Flower

Wow Vinca are so omnipresent here! But only white and violet ones. The peachy ones look so beautiful!!

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks for sharing the nice splashes of colour. :D The caterpillar looks very content, I hope it will tell all it's friends about your delicacy and you'll get a garden full of butterflies eventually.

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:) I am pretty obvious, aren't I Cheryl?

15. cherylad

Cayuga... I originally got the seeds from my aunt who was around 90 years old at the time. And everyone always teased her about growing a marijuana plant. So when I got the seeds from her, she says "now don't go getting busted growing that thing". :D

16. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

beautifullllllllllllllllllllllll :-D :-D