Stupit birds!

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

This year when we hung the bird feeder out, I moved it to the front yard where I can watch it from my nice warm recliner when the snow and wind is howling. Well the stupit birds still haven't found it after 2 weeks. And it is full of black oil sunflower seeds too! Their favorite. At this rate that 50 lb bag is going to last all winter and then some. I did have a squirrel checking it out, but since it is a squirrel proof feeder, he lost out too!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How close to the front window is it? If you keep the curtains open and there is much movement inside the house it will scare the birds and they won't feed there.
    I have a birdbath not too far from my front window but I have an almost 5 foot tall potted Mexican Petunia between it and the house so my movements inside don't affect them.

4. Capt Kirk

It's about 15 to 20 ft. from the window. I have had then closer and it didn't bother them. I think it's just that they have so much natural feed around they haven't started looking at other places yet.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They'll find it once they need it. We feed the birds some 7 feet from the window. They don't mind at all.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

'My' birds aren't visiting the feeders very much at the moment either despite the frosts we've been having. As you say they seem to have so much natural food at the moment that they're ignoring our feeders. No doubt they'll be flocking to them again soon.

7. bethie

bethie Young Pine

They'll find it. We feed year round here so our little fiends never stray too far. 8)

8. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

I guess birds in fall season have lots of seeds and bugs to eat. They don't even bother my berries in fall but I have to put net for protection during summer.

9. Capt Kirk

The chickadees finally found it today. I saw one out there earlier and now there are a bunch. It's like a 3 ring circus out there! I used to feed mixed seed, but they would throw the seed out, just to get to the sunflower seeds. So now I only feed sunflower seed.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great news that they found the feeder. We built a pergola to attract the birds in our backyard. I watch the birds in the front yard, playing in my flower beds. They sure like the purple coneflower heads...Sherry8

11. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Glad that the recliner will have enjoyable days of bird watching. They are a hoot to watch. They catch my attention at odd times when I am outside.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I didn't have any birds at my feeder until the snow came. Now, there are all kinds of birds out there!

13. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Birds will leave feeders alone while their wild or natural food is in abundance. Then when it isn't back to the feeders.
    It can take a while for them to use a new feeder. Be sure there is some natural cover nearby. A tree or bush. (about 15 feet away) They'll feel safer when theres cover from predators they can get to.
    I have feeders in a tree about 10 feet away from my picnic table. We sit out there, weather permitting, and the birds don't mind at all. Once they decide you arent a threat they dont care about the movement.
    Now that the chickadees have found it others will see them and follow.

14. Kratz7

Kratz7 New Seed

Stupit birds

I have my bird feeders outside my kitchen window. The birdies are loving their free food and I'm certainly glad to oblige.

Do you feed thistle seed too,or just the sunflower seed?

Kratz7