styrofoam in bedding plants

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by purpleinopp, Apr 30, 2015.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Found in a 6-pack of Begonias from Lowe's. They know millions of these are going to be planted in the ground. It's definitely not perlite, it smushes flat, then bounces mostly back into shape, totally soft. Do you want to bury styrofoam in your yard?

2015-04-30 007.JPG

2015-04-30 008.JPG

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, PiO (Tiffany?);
    First, to answer your question, I don't think so but I'm not sure... I don't think Styrofoam is biodegradable, neither does it absorb and retain moisture, so what purpose does it serve except to occupy space??...
    Second, I'm somewhat surprised that your post/question has been 'up/or/on-the-board' for a week without any response until I found it this morning!.!. That, I think, is problematic of this NEVV GardenStew ,,,,, format?, style?, program?, softvvare?,......
    Hopefully, some others vvill chime in vvith info/comments/opinions, maybe even some scientific data...
    Hank

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It is used by some growers and gardeners alike to provide air space and improve drainage. It doesn't biodegrade, absorb or retain, but it also doesn't harm plants or humans, doesn't leach chemicals into the soil as it requires extremely hot temps for that to occur (like heating a foam cup of coffee in the microwave hot). If you don't want it in your plant roots, it should be easy enough to wash the roots before putting the plant in ground or container. Personally since I have heavy black clay soil the infrequent bits of styrofoam I find mixed in the soil are beneficial in the long run.

If you click on the words Latest Posts at the top of the page, under the GardenStew banner you will get a list of all new posts and further down that list will include all posts that you have not read whether they are several days old or newer since the software considers them new to you. When the forum is very active it is quite easy for posts to slip out of the top listing without every one seeing them. To have a fresh list of new posts each day, before logging out of the Stew click on Mark All Forums Read. Then each time you visit the Stew there will be only the new unread posts showing.

Also, Hank, does the W on your keyboard not work? Just wondering why you use double V instead.

Beeker, 2ofus and Henry Johnson like this.
  5. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

O.K., Toni; Good answers.. Yes, creating air space and improving drainage are GOOD things; for some soils that would be necessary ! ! And no harmful-to-humans (or pets/livestock) side effects is a definite plus....
    And, Thank You, Toni, for the help about seeing all posts and not missing any;
    I'm going to start a new thread about my computer illiteracy to avoid hi-jacking PiO's 'STYROFOAM' thread, if its not too late..
    Hank

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have horrible clay soil so I'm glad Purple posted this and I read your answer, Toni. I have nasty clay soil so I won't worry about the small Styrofoam bits either.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

When I was in England, I saw the varieties of pack earth for sale in supermart and gardening centers makes me salivate and they were so affordable. Back home I can only get it from gardening center and not much choice. They are expensive and not worth the money. I bought it because I am left with no choice.

After removing buried old construction debris and rocks from my garden I need something to fill in the space. I bought all the different brands and found funny things in them including half burnt plastic bags, lots of coconut husk, stones, nails, broken glass ...

Thanks for the explanation about the Styrofoam bits Toni. I won't be surprised to find broken Styrofoam containers in the bags of earth for sale in my country, or were the Styrofoam containers were already burnt? I know for sure they have no business being there.

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

On a profit-loss workup, I don't think styrofoam gives to my garden as much as it takes away.

Sooner or later I gotta pick sift this stuff out.

9. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

TY for the replies!

My question was asked rhetorically. It didn't occur to me that there would be anyone who would not mind inadvertently burying garbage in their yard. I posted this to alert folks to check before buying flat/pack annuals, if they care. Washing the soil off of the roots of even 1 flat of annuals is probably not something I can imagine many, if anybody, would do. Where would one wash it TO? Down a drain? My prediction for that: one would soon have a clogged drain, if it goes past the very top at all, floating on the surface as styrofoam does.

A debate could possibly be had regarding the merits of adding something like this to a container planting, if there's an interest. But for plants intended to be put in the ground by the millions, I agree it won't hurt the plants, but it's just plain disgusting.

There is no way an inorganic material like this could help improve any ground soil anywhere. It would always just be trash buried in the soil. For those interested in improving soil for texture, fertility, drainage, all of the above, adding organic matter to the surface, like mother nature does, is the only plan needed. Dr. Elaine provides an excellent 15-minute nutshell version of the basics of soil microbiology:
    http://permaculturenews.org/2013/09/20/soil-not-dirt-dr-elaine-ingham-talks-soil-microbiology/

Henry Johnson likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, I understand. No, it really doesn't bother me that a few are in the plant soil.

I would suggest using a fine sieve to wash unwanted things out of plant soil, then dump it in the trash....not down the drain.

Unfortunately living on the Blackland Prairie we have black clay that is hard as concrete when dry with cracks to a depth of sometimes 12 inches....and is a soggy clump when wet....either way there is no drainage. Styrofoam pieces (talking about a few pieces, not gallons of them) have been used for years to prevent the black clay from compacting and therefore allowing air and water to penetrate to the roots of plants. In the last few years Expanded Shale has become available for the same purpose. The expanded shale absorbs water and then slowly releases it into the ground as the soil dries. Organic matter will definitely improve the fertility and texture of soil but unless you totally replace our black clay with organic matter you still have a drainage problem and you use what you can to improve that or watch your plants die an untimely death.