Suggestions for flower bed around Live Oak Tree

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gsdruth, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

I have a live oak tree in my front yard with a large raised circular flower bed around it. I'm in Houston with very hot weather. I've had lots and lots of purple coleus plants around it one year. Turned out beautiful. Next year, I went with a mix of spring and summer bloomers, zinnas, petunias, salva, etc. Very colorful and very pretty also. Full of summer blooming flowers!

This year, I think I want a mix of perennials and annuals but not sure what combinations. Want beauty but don't wont to work so hard starting over every year! I thought about asparagus ferns mixed with something very colorful in the mix. Since this is in my front yard, I like full and very showy plants in that bed.

Please give me suggestions Stewers, you're the experts! Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a neighbor with a huge 40+ yr old Live Oak in the front yard and the shade is so dense they don't even try for plants, just rocks and drift wood.

How large is the shady part of that bed, does any of it get at least 3 hours of sun a day?

Plantings under a tree should be drought tolerant even more so in our drought conditions. When you water the area the tree roots are going to take up the water first, leaving the flowering plants with what/if any water is left.
    Last year you planted with drought tolerant and shade tolerant annuals so that was a good choice.

4. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

The entire bed gets at least 4 hours of sun. As I said its a raised bed almost 2 feet from the tree roots. The bed is filled with very good garden soil, drains well and gets sun in the morning through early afternoon and shaded in late evening. I've had great success with everything I've planted there inspite of my limited knowledge. Looking for a fresh ideas this year.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds like a trip to the garden center is in order. I think you should just go with the plants you like, the colors you like and have fun. If you do find perennials you want, try to stick with Texas Natives because of the temperature and drought conditions they will 'take a licking and keep on ticking' :D

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Used to drive by a house/home on my way to and from work that had beds of Impatiens, many colors, around oak trees in their front and side yards.. Beautiful!! When traffic allowed I would slow to 10-20 mph and admire their plantings.. This was in Tampa, FL, Zone 9...
    Hank

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I think Toni's on the right track. Go plant shopping! :stew2:
    More than a couple of times, I've just about killed myself trying to find certain suggested plants or those I've seen in others' gardens. Some simply weren't available around here. And if you did find it online, it was kinda expensive. So just go to your favorite nurseries and see what's available that meets your requirements. I think the mix of Native Perennials and Annuals is a great way to go. There's a couple of places in Houston that specialize in Natives, Buchanan's was the one I went to last year.

Edited to add this photo of your bed that your Hubby sent me when you all first built it.

[​IMG]
    Brother's New Flower Beds ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Kay likes this.
  8. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Thanks Cheryl. We went to Maas Nursery (Seabrook)on Saturday evening. Got a mix of perennials and annuals. I think I'll be pleased with the different kinds I settled on. Hope to get everything in the ground tomorrow. Anxious, anxious to get started!!

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm excited for you! I bet you got some good stuff. Can't wait to see it.

10. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Henry, I did an impatiens mix last year and I was really pleased. Went to the nursery on Saturday and just let my imagination run wild (after reading labels of course). I think I'll be pleased with my choices. Will definitely post pictures when its done. Thanks for the suggestions. Just needed a trip to the nursery!!

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Can't we see pictures of it now? You know we would love it..

12. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Waretrop: Cherylad, (my sister in law) posted a picture of tree flowerbed on this thread. That's the tree just imagine everything in it DEAD. That's what it looks like now. But alas, not for long...made a trip to the nursery. Pictures will indeed follow. Thanks!

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh thanks, gsdruth. This thread makes allot more sense to me now. Now did I miss the relationship??? :D

I love the wall that was created around your tree. Very Pretty.

Have you seen my little wall and garden around my oak tree?

[​IMG]

That was made of flagstone from my uncles quarry. He gave allot of stone to my parents almost 70 years ago. When we sold my parents home we packed up as much stone as we could and hauled it with us. We built that little stone wall with my uncles stone. It's been in my family so long now. That makes it special. Actually this stone was around my the oak tree in my back yard, the whole time I grew up and now it's around my old oak tree.

I keep the same thing in mine every year because I don't like to keep planting the same area over and over again. So this is my mini Hosta bed. sometimes I put my little Gnomes with door and windows around the tree. Makes it very cute.

Your light color wall sure will look good with brightly colored flowers. Can't wait to see it.

14. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

What a nice story about the flagstone you used. It makes your flowerbed special with the memory of your parents home! I agree, I am tired of starting over with annuals each year. I bought a combination of perrenials to add in with the colorful summer annuals. We planted our plants yesterday and I'm excited to see them grow. Let the miracle grow watering begin.