Suggestions for furniture on a low budget

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by iheartdesign, May 21, 2008.

1. iheartdesign

iheartdesign New Seed

:-D i just bought a new town home in this crazy dropping market, and feeling like i should have waited. Anywhoo i have decided what the heck i will decorate it to my very little budget, so any help would be greatly appreciated. my first thing im looking for is cheap modern furniture, and i loveeee cool lighting and shoes :) any suggestions??

2. Loading...

3. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Definitely go yard sale shopping. You never know what you'll find. Also online try freecycle and craigs list.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Goodwill is a very good place if you have one in your area :D I just got a 10 gallon fish tank from ours the other day :D

5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I find our Goodwill overcharges for furniture. :eek: But, it's certainly worth a try if there's one close to you.

Here, with the current economy, I've noticed the big furniture stores are offering up to 3 years no interest for purchases. This is the time we tend to go ahead and buy our furniture and make sure we pay it off within the 0% time frame to prevent any interest charges. We never buy furniture without at least a year of interest free financing, if it's not offered we wait.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Another suggestion for you. Do you have a Freecycle group around where you live? We have a couple around here and they're great. You just have to scan the items on offer at their site and then hope you are the one to get picked for the freebie you want. :stew1:

7. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Well here's a no-brainer. Hit the craft store for a lamp kit, and make the lamp base out of a bunch of cool stacked-up shoes (thrift store again)
    DH furnished his first apt. with shipping pallettes, just built them into chairs and such, had folks fighting over them when he moved out (ok, it was the 70's, but a little creativity goes a long way)

8. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

Shopko has a great klik-klak sofa that's very modern. I think it's normally $300. But Shopko frequently has huge sales and you can find it for $150 for a week out of every month or two.

It's a faux suede material, and it folds into a bed, a lounge, or an armless sofa.

...Can you tell I want it? :p

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We found a new futon at a yard sale for $40.00. It's black pipe with a black cushion. It looks very nice and is an extra bed.
    We bought a new still in the package electric stove on craig's list for less than any store wanted. We got our recliner chairs and a discount store and they match, one smaller for me and one for dr man-sized, whatever that means. dooley