Suggestions please, evergreen scented climbing windbreak

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by rachaelworld, Mar 28, 2007.

1. rachaelworld

rachaelworld New Seed

Hi there,
    I am living in a beautiful apartment in Dublin, 2 storeys up above the canal. My "garden" is a balcony that runs the length of the apartment (approx 15ft) but is quite narrow (approx 3ft) and it's also very windy as the wind prevails, and is funneled down the canal, and I just have chrome uprights on a wooden frame railing. What I am looking for are suggestions for plants to create a natural windbreak. These are my ideal qualities...evergreen, climbing (but not averse to hanging down), flowering with scent, and not too dense as I still want to be able to catch glimpses of the swans on the canal, and sun to get through to my other plants. Also, it has to tolerate having little space for it's roots as it's going to be in a container no more than 6 inches wide although I could make it deepish. Also, my balcony is south facing.
    So, it's a tall order I know, but any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Warm regards,
    Rachael

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How about an evergreen honeysuckle Rachael? I have some and their scent is gorgeous. It's not too dense and is definately hardy. (If it can put up with our Scottish winds it will suit your balcony) It has dark green, glossy leaves and doesn't mind being given a haircut now and again to control its growth.

4. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

One of my favorites might work, too. :-D
    Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Madison' ("Star Jasmine Madison")
    This can be allowed to grow in thickly,
    or can be pruned hard for a lacier appearance.

5. rachaelworld

rachaelworld New Seed

root issues?

Great suggestions, as I love the smell of both. Although I like the idea of having the beautiful autumn colours of the star jasmine, do you think the leaves just go green again in spring?
    My concern though is the confined root space due to the size of container I am restricted to with my balcony. Do you have any knowledge regarding these 2? Are there any suitable plants that are known for liking confined roots?
    It's a beautiful day here in Dublin with good warmth in the sun although it's a bit hazy. It smells like summers a coming! 8)

Advertisement
  6. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

*LOL* I hope you don't have too many bunnies on your balcony. :D

The cultivar 'Madison' is said to have superior hardiness.

Have a look at this site, for more info,
    including the following testimonial (which speaks to container growing as well as climate):

My own experience with this plant is that new foliage replaces the old gradually in the springtime.

I would give it the largest container that is practical,
    and expect to refurbish the planting medium every 3 years or so,
    but when that is necessary, you can also prune your plants back,
    above and below the soil (root pruning), and let them grow out anew.

Hope this is helpful and not just information overload. :oops:

7. rachaelworld

rachaelworld New Seed

Zuzu, that's brilliant :-D and definitely not overload. It really sounds like star jasmine madison is the perfect option. Luckily, I have yet to see a bunny in the vicinity although I've heard they're crafty creatures. :D My next quandary is to find the perfect sized container! Thanks again Zuzu.