Sunfl~heli~jerus~ower~ anthus~alum~A~choke??

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Wrennie, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

This flower grows about 5 - 7 feet tall, in part shade, in sandy stony soil. It blooms in the late summer to fall. Anyone know for absolute sure what it is?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's a Jerusalem Artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) a member of the Sunflower family.

I think that is what you were trying to say in the subject line but I really couldn't make much sense of it. :stew2:

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It looks like a sunflower to me but mine here in Texas blooms in the summer.It sure looks like its from the sunflower family.

4. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

yup the title is a mish mosh of sunflower helianthus jerusalem artichoke. I thought J Artichoke roots looked more like a ginger root. Is it just because they're in gravelly soil that they look so slender?

Advertisement
  5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Well i have to say the title caught my eye real fast,, an i am glad it did. can that grow in the artic here, i think i was told i'm in zone 6. an can't you eat those roots,, i think you can, but not sure, since i have never grown them. but i want some, i hope someone knows about zone 6. :stew2:

6. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Biita I am in zone 5 and it grows like crazy out behind my store here.

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

To be honest it looks more like Helianthus decapetalus than Jerusalem artichoke. However there are about 19 different species of Helianthus and twice as many named forms.

8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi Wrennie

It is actually nice to see such a big Jerusalem Artichoke in bloom - I have only seen smaller ones around here.

there is another thread on the Stew in Fruit and Vegetable gardening on Jerusalem artichokes where I also learnt that it is indeed edible and has some great qualities with regard to Diabetes.

Imagine food growing like wild flowers - :D

9. Biita

Thanks Wrennie, i will definately order some roots or seed, however it comes.

Palm Tree, i gather an eat from the wild all the time, infact i prefer it to roots and leaves that you buy. what cracks me up is gardener fight so hard to get rid of more "weeds" if not all, only to go to the store an buy the same things. what a waste of money. plus the wild foods are packed with so much more minerals an vitamins and the medicinal qualities of them can keep the body balanced with out you even knowing it. example,,, chickweed. it eats the fat in the body, clarifies the blood, an is packed with vit. C. and thats just one of the many wonderful "weeds" that get tossed to the bins. :D

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I think it is gorgeous...I love the height and the color. Did I hear someone right that it is a weed? I wish my weeds looked that good if it is..

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Biita, the zone 6 in the States is down to -10 deg F - -23 deg C. You're in 6 or 7 on the Norwegian table, and I can't find how cold it might get where you are. Stupid net! But give it a try, by all means.

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I am sorry to totally disagree with the id, but the roots are nothing like even the weediest H. tuberosus roots. I grew it for a while, but since they make me very ill we stopped and even on the discarded ones which finished up growing on the cocnrete path in windblown leaves looked more like small potatoes than those roots do.
    It could be H. x laetiflorus which is a wild hybrid of something with H. tuberosus.

13. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Which leads me to my favorite quote;
    "A weed is only a plant you haven't found a use for yet."

14. Biita

well even if that plant isn't ediable, or is, the flowers of the plant an how big they get will fit right in here on the farm. shoot even the field weeds i leave because they are taller than i am. well okay i'm not all that tall, but still. 24 hour sun can do wonders for plants, an planted by the fireweed,(which btw you can eat an use in tea) an intermingled with the bright pink of the fireweed, those flowers will look natural among all the other glorious weeds.

15. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi there

Palustris - you also made me lookup the different types of sunflowers now. AT first glance it does look like Jerusalem artichokes. But I am a bit confused now: Please check out this site and tell me which one you think this is:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch? ... ubmit.y=11

And Biita - I also love eating from the wild. I just practice a lot of caution when it comes to mushrooms - especially if they turn out to be toadstools.
    Sunflowers, I think, in general is relatively safe to eat, drink, ingest.
    If it makes you ill, then may be you have some allergic reaction.