Sunflower planting Question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by happyzinnia, Mar 22, 2012.

1. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

I started some giant sunflower seeds in a six pack and was going to plant them as soon as they were big enough but mother nature put a wrench in my plan and ordered Winter again. Now I have them hardened off but they are leggy. Can I plant them with most of the stalk burried like a Tomato plant or will they rot?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't think that will work with sun flowers. You can try it, but start new ones just in case.

4. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Thank you Carolyn, will plant new ones and try it with a couple of them.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

What variety did you plant ? Some types are a bit leggy anyway till they get bigger. I usually plant Mammoth Giant. Hope I got that name right. Have to go look. Why don`t you just put seeds in the ground ? They will not come up till temperature is right, by then you don`t have to worry. They will overwinter as seed and come up in the spring here. Even after the super hard winter we had 2009 or 10. Can`t remember the exact year but it snowed a lot.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I tried starting the Mammoths (and a couple of others) indoors and then transplanting. Didn't work. The one's I put directly in the ground did just great.

7. Annette

Annette Seedling

i grow sunflowers every year. i used to start them indoors,and they also got 'leggy'. found it much easier to just start them in the ground. i always over plant and can thin them out when they get about six inches tall.