Super Tomahawk chipper shredder.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by alleyyooper, Oct 21, 2005.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

:) I bought a used Super Tomahawk chipper shredder last week. Now this sure does make a nice job of cleaning up the yard. Tree limbs up to 3 inchs in dia. are a snap, will also shred newspaper, leaves and grass. I've wanted one for years but never took the time to hunt one down I could afford. The mulch in the photo is Popple limbs from a trees I cut down in August to make room for the honey house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D Al

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Seems like a powerful machine Al. I used to use a bigger chipper when I worked before and it was an absolute beast, could handle 10-15 cm diameter trunks. The brand name escapes me... it had a distinctive bright orange colour. Any ideas?

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

ever heard of that brand name before. Who is it made by? I have an MTD 5 hp. chipper that I use for yard cleanup. Leaves I don't mess with. I chop them up with the lawn mowers and then let the wind blow them over onto the neighbors land! Works for me!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We've just recently purchased a garden shredder and it's been worth every penny spent on it. We felled a weeping willow a few weeks ago and now it's back in the garden - as a mulch. Next to fell and shred - two holly bushes and a cherry tree!! Not nearly as powerful as your Al but it'll do us just fine. :D

Advertisement
  6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Seedling

The Tomahawk and super Tomahawks were made by Troybuilt. Company has since been sold to either MTD or Murry. Quality isn't near as good as it once was. Troy Built equiptment today is right at the same level as all MTD and Murrys many brands. Like Huskee, Craftman,yardman, Rally, Scotts and others.
    Mulched leaves make great compost.
    :D Al

7. tapebarn

tapebarn New Seed

Another Super Tomahawk chipper shredder question

Hi,
    I just purchased a used Troy Built Super Tomahawk Chipper Shredder, 8 HP that needs some TLC. It did not come with a manual and the battery is dead - the numbers on the battery are no readable, so it makes it hard to look for a replacement. I just took the carb off, cleaned it and saw that it needs a new air filter as well. Can anyone point me to a web site or tell me where I can find a manual that list part numbers etc? There was a little wire/string that came off with the carb. and I am not sure where it attaches - it looks like it puts tension on something behind the carb.
    Thanks!

8. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Try www.troybuilt.com , they own the Troybuilt brand now. They are located in Cleveland Ohio. Or you could go to any MTD dealer, or Troybuilt dealer and they could probably hyelp you out.