Swai- Vietnamese catfish

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by rockhound, Aug 3, 2012.

1. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Swai. Has anyone seen this fish for sale? It's at Kroger's supermarkets now in middle Tennessee at 1/2 the cost of regular catfish filets. For that price I thought I'd try it. After researching it I found out it's a type of catfish they farm in Vietnam. It cooks up nice with no fishy odor. I'm a little leery of imported fish to be honest but at my age and condition it's gonna hafta hurry to get me before something else does, LOL. It tasted good to me just fried in butter and lemon pepper. Flakier than reg catfish. YMMV

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. qc110
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here in Texas it's called Pangasus (and don't hold me to that spelling!). It is less expensive than catfish. I haven't bought or tasted it.
    What I can't understand is how the grocery can charge $3.50 per pound for catfish, when every stock tank and river around here is chock-full of catfish. I don't like to clean fish, but for that amount of money I can quell my disgust for fish guts and go ahead and get out my fileting knife.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Pangasus ?? Must be same as buffalo or drum or similar fish. You are right MG. Catfish is everywhere. Our stock tank is full of 2 to 10 lb channel cats. I just walk out my back door and catch dinner when I get fish hungry. They are not my favorite,,I like perch or crappie, but hubby loves catfish. I try to catch a few of both kinds when they cooperate.

5. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

This is "Pansasius hypophthalimus" according to the back of the package. Google says it's river-grown farmed catfish.