Swedish Midsommar

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I celebrated my first Swedish Midsommar on Friday and it was absolutely great fun. Midsommar in Sweden is a holiday to celebrate the longest day of the year. It is a big tradition and it is celebrated through out the country.

I met up with some friends and we had a dinner of herring (uncooked) and potatoes and Schnapps. We sang Swedish songs (I don't speak it so most of my input was mumbled :)) at certain times during the dinner.

After the dinner we danced in a circle around the Midsommar pole (similar to a maypole I suppose), which was quite silly indeed but fun.

Then the icing on the cake, at night everybody sleeps on bales of hay in the barn :p That was interesting indeed. My back didn't have the most comfortable night.

Then in the morning we had breakfast while watching The Sound Of Music (I don't think that's tradition ) :eek: Great fun.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So glad you enjoyed the Midsommar celebrations Frank and had such a great time with your friends. :smt026
    I'd love to have seen you dancing round round the midsommar pole. :D
    Don't much fancy the sleeping on hay bales though. Last time I did that I gor spiders in my hair. :rolleyes: Btw how was the herring served - was it dressed in any way?
    You certainly deserve a break every now and again. :D Did you happen to take any piccies for us to see by any chance?

4. Frank

The herring was is jars, you just fork it out and help yourself. I'm not quite sure how it was flavoured but it definitely was! :eek: I'm afraid I personally did not take any pictures (I have to invest in a digital camera) but my mates did. I will try to get my hands on them.

I enjoyed sleeping in the hay though, maybe I should make it an annual event even when I am not in Sweden :smt031

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really hope your mates took a few piccies of you Frank as it would be great to put a face to a name. :D

6. Frank

hehe but that is me in my profile picture, didn't you know :p