Take a second cutting from same stem?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Donna S, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Can I take a second cutting from same stem and does a cutting need to have leaves? Thanks
    Donna

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Donna, usually you can take a second cutting, as long as the stem is not woody. the new cutting should also have leaves. the leaves are where the food is manufactured for the cutting while you are waiting on roots to develop.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, I've received 6' canes of roses, and made multiple cuttings from the one cane. It is necessary to have leaves. I don't know if you are doing roses, but I have had better luck with a slant cut than a straight across cut. I think it exposes more surface for taking up moisture.

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Carolyn and Marlingardener for the info. With cold weather just around the corner can I start roses in the ground? First frost is likely about Nov. 1st. I can mulch them & put bottles over them.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd start the roses in pots, with a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite, and the freshly cut ends of the rose cuttings dipped in a rooting hormone. Then cover them with a plastic bag or bottomless clear plastic soda bottle, and put them where they will not freeze.
    Starting in the ground in your area usually works better in the spring, or so I am told.