Tall Flower Containers.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Philip Nulty, May 6, 2013.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

In 2011 i purchased a tall container it measures nearly 3 Ft and i got it as a special offer,..don't remember how much it was but the container was just what i needed for a Variegated Wallflower,..since then every time i visited the hardware/garden center i would check on the remaining tall containers,..they were still there with no price on them,..original price was 36 euro/$47.19 so i asked for the manager and explained there was no price plus they got very scruffy and scratched since 2011,..he went off and priced them as still 36.00euro/$47.19,..but due to being scruffy and scratched he gave it to me for 20euro/$26.22,..below you can see how the new one cleaned up.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

=====================================================

Every year i purchase Biodegradable Pots,..they are 8euro/$10.49 for 36 pots,..very handy as seedlings can be planted with the pot.

This year i spotted some new ideas that i had not seen before,..32 pots reusable for 10euro/$13.11

[​IMG]
    Biodegradable Pots. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The New Pots. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4 Pots open like a book. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    closed together. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    32 fixed in tray. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

At least i can use these over and over,..just open the pots like a book and drop out the seedling.

stratsmom, Jewell, Donna S and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Philip, Looks as though you're ready to start your very own plant nursery! ;)
    I love the tall planters that color is great. Can't wait to see what grows in them!

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, if someone other than myself was going to get a bargain on those beautiful tall containers, I'm glad it was you Philip. Not ecstatic, not thrilled, but glad and very envious!
    Those reusable pots we use for tree seedlings. They are called "sleeves" on this side of the pond, and they develop long root systems and are especially good for plants with a tap root.
    Let us know what you grow with them!

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So my question is....is there a hole in the bottom of the tall pots???? They are very cool. I have seen fountains that look like that. Wish I could stumble onto a deal like that....

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love those reusable deep pots. You scored :stew1:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Kay,..the first tall container houses a variegated wallflower heavily scented,..so its at nose level,..the second will house another species of wallflower.

[​IMG]
    Last Summer. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

It feels and looks like a mini plant nursery just now with Calendulas seedlings,..Nasturtium,..Wallflowers,..Dahlias,..(some of those are flowering),..Snapdragon,..Hollyhock,..Morning Glory and Dwarf Morning Glory,..that's only some of the seedlings lol.
    ====================================================

Hi Marlingardener,..apart from the list above i will be putting Lupins,..Foxgloves,..Delphiniums and Indian Blanket Flower in them,..providing the latter takes,..the seeds are dodgy,..so you call them sleeves,..very apt,..i think they are new to this side of the pond,..or maybe just my town lol.

I am very pleased with the tall container.

=====================================================

Hi Barb,..there was no holes in the bottom,..but i did drill four medium sized holes,..also added moisture retaining crystals as i find the water quickly goes to the bottom leaving the top dry.

Philip

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Philip those planters are gorgeous, I think I remember you posting a photo of the first one when you bought it...I was jealous then and am doubly jealous now. I know the color looks great with your other planters.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've seen fountains made from the tall pots and I am jealous too :D What a great deal!!

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Ohhh... I remember when you posted that first tall container. It looked so "grand"! And now there's more. Oh boy! I can't wait to see them standing tall and proud in your garden.
    Wasn't it Sjoerd who showed us those "root trainers" a couple of years ago? They look so practical! Wonder if they are available over here?
    Anyhow... way to go! I can't wait to see everything tucked in amongst your already fabulous garden.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Toni,..ah yes i remember we exchanged comments about the fact i was thinking of spraying the tall container green and you replied that it was the same green as a sports car you had way back lol.

=======================================================

Hi Deanna,..the guy in the garden center said those tall pots was classed as water urns,..oh don't be reminding me of fountains and water features :rolleyes: ,..they are always rolling around in my mind.

=======================================================

Hi Cheryl,..Sjoerd must have posted on those planters before my time,..yes they sure are practical,..just open the planter and the entire seedling and roots can drop out are still intact and ready for the ground.

Yesterday i planted a Wallflower in the new container seeing there is a Wallflower in the other,..this morning i am in a dilemma,..maybe i should plant a Phygelius in the new container :-? seeing the Phygelius blooms hang down it would be easier to appreciate them if in a taller container,..right another cup of tea and maybe i will decide :D

Just some of the seedlings in the nursery,..nearly ready to go into the garden.

[​IMG]
    Phygelius,'Candy Drops Cream'. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last nearly all the cuttings that were in flowerpots are gone to new homes,..they were all around the edge of the garden,..at last more room.

[​IMG]

stratsmom likes this.
  12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh man, I LOVE those tall pots. I'm jealous too! I've been looking for pots JUST like that to put on either side of my garage, but every time I find one the price just makes me recoil! Good for you, Philip, for finding such a deal! :)

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Ronni,..i was just lucky to have visited the hardware store and spotted them out in the garden area,..the first day they arrived and were on special offer,..i don't think any of the others were sold since then,..strange how nobody fancied them here and there you are longing for two similar containers.

Philip

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Philip, That was an awesome score. I love those containers. I would send you a patch, but there wasn't/isn't "a great deal" one. maybe sometime.

Sjoerd uses those root trainers, too. I haven't seen any to buy locally here, yet, only through a mail/internet order. As soon as they are available here I will get some to try them, too.

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,..yes i was "chuffed" as we say here,..getting the special offer on the first one then a big reduction on the second.

I bought fertilizer pellets while i was in the center but will have to explain every time someone looks at the garden that they are not slug pellets,..they are identical in size and colour.

16. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

You sure do know how to find great things and great prices.