tall, sturdier than roses with beigeish-pinkish flowers

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Liz, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Liz

Liz New Seed

I actually bought these 2 (looks like 1 now though) in a greenhouse so I am sure they must be common but I forgot the name and since they were doing great with little care I never looked up how to actually take care of it.

So I would like to know the name and advice on how to shape it without causing damage, it is already taller than me so maybe about 5'9", blooming like crazy with no sign of stopping (not that I mind, the flowers are lovely)

[​IMG]
    you might get to see my mailbox hidden behind if you pay enough attention ( photo / image / picture from Liz's Garden )

[​IMG]
    close up of the flower ( photo / image / picture from Liz's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Looks like a tropical Hibiscus...

Frank likes this.
  4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

I agree with Kay...beautiful bloom

5. Liz

Liz New Seed

Thank you for the quick replies :)

From what I read so far sounds like I should pretty much treat them like roses when it comes to trimming am I correct?

I also read I should not trim in winter depending on the zone I live, but I do not know about zones... it might be zone 10 maybe 9, so it shouldn't be a problem right?

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hey Liz, You are a lucky girl in your warm zone to have green growing plants at this time of year. I am a little jealous, as I'm sure are the others that are getting covered by snow!
    Although I can readily recognize your pretty tropical Hibiscus, I only know them as summer annuals.*sigh*
    When I do grow them, I don't really do much pruning at all.I just pull the spent blooms off. I think you would be fine with pruning them to control their size. They look happy and healthy. Enjoy them! :stew2:

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Are the leaves thick and glossy dark green? If so, it is a Tropical Hibiscus...otherwise it is a Hardy Hibiscus.

Your's looks like the Hardy Hibiscus that I have been growing for several years. The only pruning it needs is to keep it the size you need to fit the growing space. Trimming to shape isn't really needed for hibiscus tho.

The Rose of Sharon, which is a Hibiscus syriacus can be pruned in early Spring to encourage larger blooms.