Thank heavens for old tee shirts, and kind folks! (update)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, May 13, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is the time of year where every plant we have flops. Between wind, rain, and general cussedness, all our tomatoes,peppers, cucumbers, and a goodly amount of flowers are prone.
    Thank heavens for old tee shirts! I tear them into 1/2" strips, and start tieing plants to trellises and supports, while humming the theme song from the movie Hang 'em High. If it weren't for old ragged tee shirts, I might have to (shudder) buy string!

I dropped off some squash and cukes at the food pantry Monday, and was joking with the pantry manager about old tee-shirts. One of the pantry workers came up to me with three very old tee shirts that had been donated, and said, "You bring us so many vegetables, maybe these will help in your garden."
    And Rockhound, the shirts were green!

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Chuckle, chuckle, with understanding relative to plants wanting to prostrate themselves in homage to the gods of HIGH TEMPS, CHANGING SEASONS, and too fast growth..
    Hank

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great idea Jane! But by the time I'm done with old t-shirts... there's usually only something the size of string to salvage! :D

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, sneak in to your husband's underwear drawer in the dark of night, confiscate a couple of old ragged tee shirts, and when he isn't looking, cut them into strips.
    My dear husband is still wondering where all his faintly white, torn under the arms, frayed at the neck, tee shirts went. If you don't tell, I won't!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jane... I don't dare venture into his side of the dresser during the light of day... let alone in the middle of the night! :D :oops:

marlingardener likes this.
  7. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

I always look for green t-shirts at yard sales, etc. Cheap strings that don't stand out, color-wise. That reminds me I drove some sticks in a new bed of Glads, need to run around them with a string or two to keep them upright.