Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Here in the states, we celebrate Thanksgiving Day. This supposedly started with the pilgrims after they had survived a year in the New World and we have been eating turkey ever since. Here it is a national holiday. A time for families and friends to join in a huge meal and enjoy the company of people that you may have not seen for a while. I was wondering, do other coutries have such a holiday and how do you celebrate it? I know Canada has a Thanksgiving Day and is celebrated earlier than here in the states. Ours is always the 4th Thursday in Nov. and of course most people have the Friday after, off work also. And that is the traditional start of the Christmas shopping season. Any smart person stays at home that day! :D

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Well I suppose the nearest equivalent for Ireland is St. Patrick's Day but of course everyone knows about that :D We have drink, drink, parades and then more drink :smt030 :smt030 It's great fun as you can imagine! :)

4. Capt Kirk

That's the same way we celebrate St. Patty's Day here too! :D

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our friends in the States. I hope you enjoy your turkeys! :smt117

6. Capt Kirk

Thank you. Even though you don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day, I hope you have a great day too!