The 2012 Great Fruitcake Toss

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Marlingardner wanted to know if she could compost fruitcake. Today in our paper (the Eagle, Bryan, Texas) there was a magazine section called American Profile. They had an article on what to do with fruitcakes you receive and don't like and don't want. Check this out!

http://www.americanprofile.com/articles ... -colorado/

Now, that's a hobby!
    dooley

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Fantastic use of a fruitcake....1400 feet and you can rent one too. I wonder if you have to replace the cake if it gets damaged? :) :) They probably take donations.

Jerry

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hahah... That was rich, Dooley!

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thanks to Dooley, our fruitcake is not going to be composted, but rather we are going to fling it across our pond! My husband the engineer has plans for a huge slingshot which involves cutting the limbs off a cedar tree and attaching part of a rubber conveyor belt to it. I am leaving the details to his inventive mind.
    With luck, the fruitcake will not hit and damage any of the cows in the next field. We will have a veterinarian standing by, just in case.
    Dooley, you may have initiated the first annual Red Gate Farm Fruitcake Launching!

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Too funny! Now, fruitcake has never been part of my families tradition, but Hubby's mother is English and they buy fruitcake. Not one person I know actually EATS fruitcake so I'm just wondering if I'm missing something? What's with fruitcake?

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All this talk about horrible tasting fruitcakes reminded me that I have never posted the recipe for the most delicious and habit forming fruit cake I have ever had. Randy's Mom makes it at Christmas most years and when she does we all take our small loaf and hide it from prying eyes of other family members. Then hide it so we and we alone can eat the loaf given to us....NO sharing!!! :eek:

I posted the recipe in the Recipes and Cooking Forum...
    Fruit Cake.....a Really Tasty one I promise