The birds are back!

Discussion in 'Bird' started by kaseylib, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I saw my first Oriole this morning, so I know the hummingbirds aren't far behind (I better get my feeders out and pick up some oranges for them today). Canadian geese have been flying north overhead this past week which is a great sight to see. I set out the gourd birdhouses that I made over the winter this past weekend, and the wrens are already checking them out. And the wild turkeys are strutting their stuff in the fields around our house...fun to watch!

It's been a long winter, but I think it's safe to say that it's finally over here in our neck of the woods. It's been great to hear from all of you about your triumphs in the garden already this year, and I can't wait to get out in the dirt myself. Keep posting your inspirational stories and photos for those of us living in the colder climes...it won't be long before we're joining you out in our gardens!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. mart
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. mart
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Wow...I haven't seen a thing yet. I will put my Oriole feeder up today. I have my hummingbird feeder already up because I always see them first.

Thanks for the heads up...Just got a new Oriole feeder from Wildbird and Backyard..it actually has a little spot in the middle of the hole where they drink that the Oriole has to push down with his beak ...this prevents the hornets and flys, and whatever from getting inside...it pushes really easy...

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi again...well I even put out some grape jam...if you have them then mine should be close...I know the house finches will enjoy it while the Orioles are on the way...No flowers here for a while for the hummingbirds...our nights have been so cold but Thursday and Friday it is suppose to be in the 60's. :-D It will be my husbands birthday on Thursday and our 41 anniversary on Friday so we can spend the day outside enjoying the weather.

I hope you had a great Easter..

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it great when winter finally leaves and all the spring visitors return? I hope your hummingbirds arrive soon. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That must be a great joy Kasey for you to see.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've noticed many birds have returned here too, but I know my Hummers won't be back until the Lilac's bloom in May. It IS starting to feel more like spring!

8. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Netty, you have even longer to wait than we do here...can't wait to smell those lilacs again! Sherry,
    I went out and bought some grape jam today...I use that too (it's cheaper than oranges, and it's not as easy for the squirrels to steal!) There was a lot of activity around my feeders today, and despite the cloudy skies the birds were singing up a storm.