The dog is in, the dog is out, the dog is in, the dog is out

Discussion in 'Pets' started by dooley, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Repeat that 8 or 9 more times and you will know what we have been doing for four or five days. Some times she has met us at the back door when we finished putting things away and cleaned up the mess. Through the fence, under the fence, through a hole she made in the skirting, under the back wall of her shelter, through another hole she made in the skirting. Our front yard looks like a fortress and still she is out. I told her that her food and water is in so she had better find a way to get back inside. I guess getting in isn't as easy as getting out because she's still out. Tomorrow, we'll open the fence and put her back inside and fix the new getting out spot. I'm not sure if it's funny or just maddening. After we spend a couple hours adding new fencing it doesn't seem too funny. One side has three layers of fencing. We even fenced in front of the skirting. A metal barrier is going to be installed at the back of the shelter tomorrow. How a little dog can find so many escape routes is weird? She just doesn't want to be contained but she has to be inside a yard according to the new ordinance. Well, someday maybe we'll be the winner.
    dooley

Droopy and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Pacnorwest
      Replies:
      Views:

3. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

dog-6 people-0. I think you are losing at present. wannabe

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry Dooley but I had to laugh at the thought of Chance popping up every time you thought you had her contained. She obviously likes your company more than her own!! :-D

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I can see a slightly comical side to this story...but I know how maddening it must be for you.
    I hope you guys can solve this prob soon...it would be a shame to get a fine.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, never get a cat. If a dog can drive you up a wall, a cat can drive you to funny farms!

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ouch!! Your post shows your frustration. A temporary leash is not a possibility?
    At least until she learns not to dig out.

Jerry

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yup, I think I would set up a clothes line rig so she could run the length of the yard but still be tied and not get tangled in anything. Clever little critters, aren't they?

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That sounds like a dog I used to have. No matter what we did, she'd be laying outside the fence when we got home. Funny thing though... if you left the gate open... she was hesitant to go out!

10. dooley

There are two reasons we don't tie her. One, she would end up choking herself and two, we can't catch her. She will come up and sit by dr but if he reaches for her she's out of there. I can't even get close to her. Her mom was an outside dog that no one could get close to and she hid the puppies and kept them away from people until they just don't trust anyone. Maybe someday! dr keeps trying. He sits and talks to her several times a day. She is back in the yard now and we gave her new food and water and a couple of treats. I'm hoping if she knows she gets treats in the yard and nothing outside she will decide to stay inside. dooley

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Dooley... I was had a dog like that. She was terrified of anything and anyone because she was left alone out in a pen with no contact when she was a pup. It took me a few years, but she finally got to the point where she would come to me... and only me. She was such a sweet dog, but the most loving she could show was to lick my hand. To me... it was like she was jumping all over me and licking me to death! She'd would run up to the truck when I got home, thrilled to see me. Lick my hand and take a treat. If I were outside, she'd come sit by me. But if anyone one else was around, she'd go hide.
    So... keep showing her love and affection, you'll see results.

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I love your patience, Dooley. The little critter doesn't know how lucky she is to be with people like you, but I'm certain that time and patience will pay off.

13. dooley

So far, so good! We were gone six hours today and she was still in the yard when we got home. So, we gave her a chew bone. She had a big smile on her face. dr went outside and talked to her. I hope she is still in the yard in the morning! dooley

14. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I was wondering if a bell or similar sound to attract her and a treat reward if she answered the sound. She would associate the bell with a treat and then she may be more manageable.

Jerry