The Great Sunflower Project!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by bunkie, May 9, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Raddang
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sydney Smith
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I read about this project somewhere and thought it was a great idea!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I may not live in the US but I do my best for the bees here in Scotland. I've planted red sunflowers in the garden this year just for a change.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I found the Lemon Queen Sunflower seeds at Target, I have about 25 extra if anyone is having trouble find them.If anyone needs a few seeds, send me you address my PM. Got some growing out back and out front.

I posted the link in early March but have forgotten about posting a reminder
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about18572.html
    Thanks Bunkie for bring it up again to remind everyone ;)

Advertisement
  6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks toni! i knew i saw it somewhere before, but in searching/googling for it, i couldn't find the link.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This sounds like a great project. I'll try to find some Lemon Queen seeds. I've got some other varieties but not Lemon Queen. Thanks!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They project organizers mention that other varieties have and can be used but they were hoping to get as many people growing one specific variety in many locations so the counts would be more viable.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I saw that Toni -- I thought it was interesting that they said the other varieties may not have any pollen because people don't like getting pollen on their tablecloths -- did you read that? So I'll plant some of the ones I have but if I can find Lemon Queen, even that much better.

I was just looking at the seed packets. One says specifically on the front that it is a pollenless hybrid (Chianti Hybrid) from Burpee.

The other two are from Botanical Interests. "Autumn Beauty" & "Mammoth Grey Stripe" recommended for attracting bees.

By the way, Botanical Interests donates seeds for educational purposes so anyone growing things at schools, day cares, scout troops, etc, should check them out.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

in this great sunflower project, they are actually trying to count the bees, honey and all. they're trying to collect information as to where they are and how many.

they're requiring that we only count the bees on the Lemon Queen sunflowers so there's no mix ups...all will be the same.

i have many different varieties i'll be growing as well, this year too...

daisy, i thought that was awful about people complaining about pollen on their tablecloths!!! funny thing, we just watched the movie 'Dirt!' and there was a piece about how we've covered so much of the earth, especially in cities, with concrete. kids in school were doing a project, digging up their concrete play area and planting trees. some guy made the comment that 'If we get rid of the concrete, where will the kids play?"! :D

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I had the same reaction to the pollen on the tablecloth comment.

You know, sometimes I feel so sad for the kids I work with in the city. It dawned on me once a couple years ago, that it would be quite possible for them to live for years without having their bare feet touch the Earth... or their hands, for that matter. Our school has a small flower garden but they don't let the kids go in it. Next year, the school is going to be run by a charter school organization that promotes "hands-on" learning so I hope they change that dumb rule.

I'm not familiar with the movie "Dirt." Sounds interesting. Is it on cable or in the theater?

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

we have Netflix, and i ordered it through them, so, it probably is on a DVD now. it was made this year. someone mentioned it on IDig forum, and i looked it up. really interesting and lots of info.

i find it so interesting with the people in other countries like India and how they are so close to the earth. they apparently have a ceremony each year where the kids go to a certain place and throw dirt every all over with their hands and dance in the dust. so cool.