The hazards a tortoise can bring

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, Apr 6, 2009.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I wondered if this should go in the pet section, and I know Frank will move it if necessary, but it isn't about looking after our darling pets, but more, when you reach that point and you scream at your pets! :-?

As you know, we have a tortoise, Travis. He hasn't hibernated this winter as we received him as a rescue and he was under weight and needed lots of TLC over winter. Anyhow, on sunny days, he roams the conservatory enjoying the warm wooden floor. However, at the moment my conservatory doubles as my tomato and chilli grow house, so I barricaded that area off from him so he could enjoy the warmth, and my toms would not be lunch. Well, bless him, he trundled about and to be honest, I forgot all about him with my too-ings and fro-ings and he made himself quite at home in the conservatory...ramming the barricades...pushing them over....climbing up and over until he could reach those tender young seedlings...and yes...he marched over them, snapping about a quarter of the seedlings clean off! AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!! I was very cross with him and told him so as I carried him back to his vivarium. He is such a heavy lump, and he ate my tray of russian tarragon clean away! Pets huh, who'd have 'em!!

Anyhow, so you don't feel toooo sorry for the beshelled dinosaur, I made new barricades at the weekend, much stronger and definately tortoise proof, so he has the run of the conservatory again, and he is off the hook as a quick resow and already seedlings are poking their noses through the warm compost.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your little armour-plated friend certainly was determined to get at your tarragon wasn't he? He probably thought you'd planted them just for him. Bet he enjoyed every bite!! :rolleyes: Thank goodness you had more tomato seeds to sow and that the new ones are already growing for you.

Travis obviously came through his hibernation with flying colours. Let's hope those new barricades are indeed tortoise proof.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a tale, Emma. That guy is a real rascal, isn't he. Oh my...
    Good luck with your new barricades.
    My condolences to your plantlets.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hahahaha. That is a good story. Made me laugh. Will Travis live outside once it gets warm? Or is he an "inside" tortoise, strictly? I have an old box turtle named Harold who lives in my yard. Also some small ones -- they don't have names...

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'm happy it was a tortoise and not a turtle. I was worried there for a minute. Tell your tortoise to behave himself or he'll be out the door. No, then he'd eat everything in your garden. dooley

7. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Sounds like quite the pet to have! They'd freeze here in our neck of the woods.

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

He will live out all summer long. Mark will make a fenced area around my greenhouse and we plan to remove a pane of glass and build him a hidey hole in the corner for the night times. He will have to come in for the winter though as he is a Mediterranean Hermans tortoise.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you'll make him a sturdier living area, EJ. We want you to be happy together, and we don't want him snacking on your seedlings.

Our cats do that too, but I can't fence them in. Or out.

10. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I have a potting shed here too, and it is frequented by visitors (mostly mice, and now the chipmunks are waking up out of hibernation). They nibble on the many plants that I overwinter inside. I haven't set traps out there yet as it hasn't been too bad, and now that the weather is warming up they're moving out. Yeah! Please post more pics of your tortoise. I don't know much about them...do they bite???

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

EJ I do hope your tortoise is pend up good.I hope he doesn't push his way into your babies again.I would love to see more pictures of him again.