"The Hedgehog Herald."

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Doghouse Riley, Oct 10, 2024 at 1:32 PM.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

A thread with some reports of hedgehog activity. Likely to be a short thread as we're close to hibernation time.
    It's difficult to know exactly what's happening as the cameras only record for a maximum of fifteen seconds with a gap of five seconds between each activation. Both cameras are set to start recording at 7.00pm. and stop at 8.00am.

It's almost impossible to tell the hedgehogs apart. They do brush against the top and sides of the doorway on the fence panel as they pass through. This I covered with sand and cement render, as it had the jagged edges of the many drill holes after I'd knocked out the centre to make the hole. So sometimes they have white marks on their prickles but usually in the same places!

Anyway, this is a photo from the camera covering the house under the azaleas next to the main patio. This part of the border has a fence around it that only, birds blackbird size and smaller, squirrels and the hedgehogs can get through. This excludes wood pigeons, cats and foxes.

The camera was set to start operating from 7.00pm. This is the first "activation" of many, last night, which would suggest that this is its occupant. Unless it had gone in before seven for a half hour kip, which seems unlikely.

[​IMG]

It went back in again at 7.49 pm

[​IMG]

and didn't come out again until 8.16 pm

This is from the camera covering the other house at the bottom of the garden. The first activation at 7.57.

[​IMG]

So it has to be a different hedgehog, as the other can't be in two places at once.

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. DianneWoollie
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Doghouse Riley

Some "argy bargy" last night., as there's obviously three hedgehogs in the market for accommodation.
    The solution according to my wife is to buy another house.
    "So anything for a quiet life,"
    I've ordered a "family sized" one.

1.jpg

It should be here by Thursday. It's getting near hibernation time, but as there's food available every night, it will still find a tenant when it arrives. It will go in the side border near the entrance in the fence. That one is now in the back border near the tea-house.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I love these posts. Such interesting insight into their lives. As I think back to your earlier postings about hedgehogs— you have had a series challenges, haven't you. You always have solutions, though.

This latest villa that you have ordered really is a splash-out. I can’t wait to see how your back yard actors will find the new accommodation. It looks to be built to a high spec. There is a waiting list.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Doghouse Riley

There was another confrontation last night. I guess the third hedgehog is getting a bit desperate for somewhere to hibernate.

But "Hog Hall" arrived today!

The problem with flat pack kits is that they can't be made watertight with just a few screws. So I used glue as well.

P1020298.jpg

There was a thin coat of paint on it, but I used the matt black spray on it. The compartment separator can be removed and the sheet of "lino" then removed for cleaning, once a year.

P1020301.jpg

P1020299.jpg

Then I added a thick piece of polystyrene to the base, for insulation.

P1020300(1).jpg

Tried on the oversize roof over the green felt one, the overhang will protect the entrance from rain.

P1020302.jpg

Added the fresh hay and it was good to go.

P1020304.jpg

I sited the camera so it will pick up any movement around the new house.

P1020306.jpg

I put a few hedgehog pellets near the entrance as an encouragement to "prospective occupants."
    The matt black paint makes it less "in your face," from the lawn.

P1020305.jpg

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Riley—I was wondering if you would paint it. I saw that it was necessary, but I wondered if the smell of fresh paint would repel the little hoggies.
    I can appreciate your thoughtful work.

By the way, what are hedgehog pellets?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The Hedgehog Hilton. Lucky little guys to have such a well thought out home for the winter. The hedgehog hall fixed up so well for winter. I hope everybody gets along ok in the end. Very nice story. Glad you shared ‘The Hedgehog Harold News.’

When the kids were small they had them as pets. They are very nice pets for small kids.