The Plants We Grow and Have Grown.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Hope I am in order here. Just joined the site and not doing a very good job of finding my way about and how it all works - I am not terribly good with PC's. On my introduction (from Suffolk) I referred to my first garden and some plants I grew there. Would like to talk about second and current gardens and other plants grown over the years whilst hearing what others grow, we can compare notes, plenty to natter about. Problem is I do not know if this has been done before - is it a goer?. Syd

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, even if it has been discussed before, it hasn't been recently. Anyway, we all try out new plants and have old favorites. I've learned about plants I'd like to try on this site, and I'm sure there are lots more.
    Go for it!

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Oh gosh what a start - a complete muddle - I typed it and moved on then thought I had not submitted it - hopefully the site can remove that other.
    Ref that second garden it was quite a bit smaller than the first but similar plants were grown. We lived there 28 years and then moved here to Suffolk where the plot is about the same area as the first but more square rather than rectangular. I love all plants and flowers but my main interest has developed into a liking for foliage plants, mostly herbaceous perennials but also evergreens/variegateds etc. I am though going to mention all plants grown whatever. Heres a first selection - Hostas, Astilbes, Peltiphyllum (its now got another name),Polygonatum, Ligularia,Dicentra,Cimicifuga, Smilacina, Rodgersia,Lobelias, Astrantia,Tradescantia,Geraniums in variety, Alchemilla,Hemerocallis. Will leave that there for comments but theres many more. The site at the back has a border along the north facing side and a largeish planting square in front of a paved area immediately behing the bungalow. There is also a large strip adjoined between the garden proper and the woods. I grow trees there and did start to plant Hostas and the like but Deer came into the garden and ate them - now I rough mow it and let the "wildies" grow as they appear - just removing nettles etc although some of these grow in abundance along the fence just over in the woods.
    Enough for the moment and hope for some comments about the plants and how others get on with them if they grow them. Sincere sorry for the awful muddle at the start, PC's are not my strongest point at all. Syd.

Hi all. Ref the plant I mentioned in the last post Peltiphyllum peltatum I said it now had a new name which is - Darmera peltata. Syd.

Hi all. Forgot to mention that I am familiar with all these plants I name - do not just grow them - ask about them please do - tell us of yours. Worth mentioning as well I think that its very interesting to read of plants origins, their histories etc - also the many wonderful little names, fables and tales surrounding them. If its in order can recommend some good reading to you on the subjects including Gerards Herbal of which I have a later reprint - this is written as he described things in the old English style. Syd.

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

chocolate likes this.
  5. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Hello Sydney,

I've got just the one hosta at the moment but which I divided in to two pots last year.I love it's pretty lilac coloured flowers but sadly,the snails and slugs seem to love it more :scheming: It doesn't seem to matter what I do they find a way of decimating the leaves. I've tried grit,salt and even Vaseline around the pots with no success...Have you got any tips that might help my fight?

Karin

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Karin. Sounds like you have done it all but them's very very determined slugs and snails you have there it sounds. Averagely a good sharp gritty/shingly surface on the pots (I do use rather large ones) surface does the trick for me but also keeping a very sharp eye open on them - have you lots of slugs and snails in your garden ?. Hand picking is useful by going into the garden after dark with a torch and looking the pots over carefully. Can't think of much else but will give it more thought. Regards. Syd

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Have you tried DE? (diatomaceous earth?)

Kiasmum likes this.
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Karin. For all my efforts, at the end of the growing season my Hostas do start to look somewhat shabby due to this problem. I did have a look this morning on I-N and amongst other sites (which perhaps look at) on this subject saw one in US. They sell Hostas including what they call slug and snail resistant ones, give info ref growing them and also combatting slugs and snails. The site is called "New Hampshire Hostas and Companion Plants".
    My own thoughts apart from what you have already mentioned are beer traps, possibly two rows of Vaseline round the pot and I did just have the thought a while ago (though I never tried it) whether fruit tree grease bands would work.
    It is quite revealing to go out into the garden after dark and in the early hours with a torch and look at the plants, I have caught many that way. Look under the rims of pots, the smaller ones like to hide there and also right into the base of the plants stem by stem.
    Wish I could be more helpful.
    Regards. Syd.

Kiasmum likes this.
  9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I had my greenhouse in another location, in another state. The slugs were numerous. Inside and outside the greenhouse. I used saucers of beer all over the place. It was cute at first because we joked about how drunk they got. I had a small empty bucket and a watering can filled with beer. I went around every morning dumping old beer with the dead slugs and refilling the saucers with new beer. Works great.

Anyhow, We moved the greenhouse, not a easy task I might, add and now we are in less woods and shade. I have very little problems with slugs. I still use beer but rarely catch the little critters.

Is this a case of location, location, location??? :D

I Love my Hostas.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Another Hosta lover here ...I just cant seem to get enough of them lately! I don't have a problem here with the slugs eating them, but at work it is another story. By the end of the season they are holier than swiss cheese, but by that time the deer have usually found them anyway. I have tried the beer traps and find them effective, but not very appealing to see and empty.
    Another plant I enjoy and love to grow is Peony. I had a few pieces given to me from friends grandma's gardens and have since added more. I don't think I would have a garden without them! I also wouldn't have a garden without Zinnia's :)

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Barbara. Perhaps in your new location the slugs have gone off the beer and upgraded to wine drinkers. Good though that you do not now have the problem since it is most distressing and can be very frustrating to see your Hostas being got at by them. Syd.

12. Cayuga Morning

Hi Netty---I love peonies too. Unfortunately I don't have enough sun to grow them at their best, but I still grow them. This fall I planted several of the woodland peonies (paeonia obovata) that supposedly like 1/2 shade. I will let you know how they do.

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Last of the seasons flowers this Liriope. It has a seedling of Mr.Bowle's Golden Grass in its centre and looks good when growing. Syd,

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

eileen and Kay like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Beautiful blue flowers.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM all. Yes it is a tidy compact plant, nice colour and flowers for quite a time. The flowers in this pic are just about finished but before this are full spikes and look a treat. I believe there is also a white flowered one which if it is a clear white should also look good. I love blue flowers (all shades) and have tried to grow the Gentians but sadly they do not stay with me for long. Best true (no hint of mauve) blue I have at present is Lithodora Heavenly Blue. Syd.

16. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy I love the colour - one of my favourite flower colours is blue. I must look out for some Liriope. :-D