The progress of my 'Empress Wu' Hosta

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Netty, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You may remember way back in 2009 when I first discovered the 'Empress Wu' http://www.gardenstew.com/about15421.html
    I found and purchased one that year, prepared and area and planted it in my garden. The past 2 springs I have waited with baited breath for the Empress to emerge from her slumber. Taking 5 years to reach full maturity and size, I would have thought that 3 years in she would be a good size. I have her planted in a garden with other Hosta's - which are all doing well - and I must admit that I am a little disappointed with her size.
    [​IMG]
    The Hosta to the right is a 'Halcyon' which was planted the following summer and it is almost the same size as the Empress. The pink flowers surrounding them are Impatiens, so that gives you a sense of how small the Empress is.
    So, my question is, does anyone else have an 'Empress Wu' in their garden? Is yours growing to be the size advertised? Do you think it should be bigger now that she is in her 3rd growing season in my garden?
    There are several other Hosta's in this garden and they are all growing quickly. Droopy - how is YOUR Empress doing??

Frank, Jewell and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Wow :-? I see what you are talking about. Maybe she's just a late bloomer :shrug: I love the pinks!

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Beautiful plant...is it just me or is the leaf structure different than other photos of the Empress Wu hosta I've seen on the web? :shrug:

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

jewell--I think you have a good point. I just googled 'Empress Wu', and the leaves look different. Netty, your 'Empress Wu' leaves are slimmer and more pointed. Could it be a different hosta?

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Rats! Did you get a mis-marked Empress??? :-x

7. Netty

I hope not!!! This thing cost me $22!!
    When it first came up in the spring, it had 2 huge leaves that got hit with frost and didn't completely develop. The other leaves came later. And then some sort of caterpiller did extensive damage to the leaves...if you look closely you can see the jagged edges. I had hoped it would grow new, larger leaves but it hasn't changed all summer. I don't know what to think!

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Netty, your "Wu" looks a lot like mine, which was also planted three years ago.

My "Wu" has grown well outwards but not upwards. She's also been harried by late frosts for two years in a row, and my youngest grand-daughter actually stepped on her and broke off a couple of sprouts. :oops: Poor thing.

I bought a "Wu" for a friend of mine too, and hers is doing a lot better. When I asked her about it, she told me to remember that this is a very hungry girl. She needs manure compost and enough water to develop properly. I immediately went home, cut a wider hole in the ground cover, removed some of the old dirt at the edge of my bigger hole and put in some compost. Next spring I'm going to feed her a lot better and see what happens. I still have faith. :D

stratsmom and Jewell like this.
  9. Netty

Thanks for the tips Droopy. I did topdress with compost this spring, but haven't given any thing else since. And it has been a dry summer. The other hosta around are doing well so I didn't think about that.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I generally don't think about watering. Mother Nature takes care of that. :D But I must do better in the nourishing department.

Some of our hosta have grown so big this year, it's amazing. Others have stunted growth so I guess it's all down to their separate requirements. I have one that seems to want world dominion. :D

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love the image of a hosta vying for world domination!

Droopy likes this.
  12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I wish I had more room for even more. Just have common type. Had to baby them drought. And having a tree taken down close to them. But God watered them so perked up. I seen price of some on E-Bay $$$$

13. Netty

Well, another year has passed and I wanted to share a photo of my 'Empress Wu' that I took today.
    [​IMG]
    The Empress is on the left. You will notice that the leaves are again a little twisted looking and it hasn't grown in size since last year. The one on the right is the 'Halcyon' that I put in as a tiny plant the year after the 'Empress Wu' was put in. It's size has now surpassed the Empress!! I have given this Hosta compost, water, miracle grow ... nothing seems to help! Any suggestions? Droopy, how is YOUR Empress looking this year?

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Oh drats. I remember reading about your Empress. Wonder why she doesn't want to grow up for you? Fingers crossed that this is the year she'll have a nice full growing spurt.

15. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Have you checked out the information on the hosta virus, and compared leaf pictures? Just wondering...the photo made the leaves look a little like some virus infected plant photos I have seen. Hope it is just the photo.

That halcyon is a beaut.

16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just divided mine last weekend. I was surprised to see what yours looked like. Mine may be 5 years old. It's funny that I don't remember what it looked like at first but for the last few years it got huge and robust. It got so large it hung over a walkway. It grew into 5 already large plants. Now it is spread out all over.

[​IMG]

But look at this old picture. See it on the other side of thee walkway on the top left in the picture? It doesn't look like it does today. You wouldn't know it's the same plant. In the morning I will go out and take a picture of the divided plant and you will be surprised.

My question is, where have you kept this plant? The sun or shade?? I just wonder if that would make the difference in how it grows.