There's hope for the next generation

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, May 18, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We participated in an "Endangered Species" day at the Waco zoo yesterday. Our booth's topic was honeybees and how to encourage them, and also preserving the rain forest by using native woods (mesquite particularly, since we had that big mesquite come down in January).
    We were so pleasantly surprised at how many children from the 3rd grade on up recognized a bee hive--not the straw skep in children's books, but a real bee hive! They wanted to know about the bees' society, how bees actually produced honey (learning that honey is actually bee vomit seemed "cool" to them, not "yuck!") and they had tales about seeing bees on flowers and being near bees and not getting stung. Yes! There is hope!
    Also, when asked what a "rain forest" was, and where it was, many gave very good answers. They could tell me why the rainforest was important, the trees' use of carbon monoxide, and many of the animals that lived in a rain forest. Yes! There is hope!
    So, the youngsters of today have the knowledge to preserve and protect much of Mother Earth. Yes, there is hope . . . .

Frank, donm, gardenelf and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I can just picture you beaming with pride at their questions and answers. :-D

4. Jadenz

Jadenz Seedling

That's really cool. I have a online friend that moved to Ecuador. He takes lots of road trips through Brazil and posts tons of pictures. There's lots of violations of ecology laws there and he reports them when they happen.
    And people should also be more aware of the Great Garbage Patches in the oceans. It's really cool that they have expeditions trying to fix those issues because the plastic is killing fish.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am glad the kids are learning to take care of Earth.

I have a son and family in Waco. DGS is in 4th grade.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What a heartwarming experience. :D

7. dasky

dasky New Seed

sure there is hope for next generation ;)